Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

WHY DOES THE SITE CONTINUE TO FREEZE

So, I downloaded the latest version  (Feb 16) - it works better, but still not well.  I can import my transactions, and the program slows down dramatically to the point of being almost unusable, but it is still better than before because it was actually unusable before.  I am not sure if I can work with the imported transactions yet.

Bottom line: better, but not good yet.

If you have a lot of transaction that are being  imported then always wait and import them dead last since the volume of sales will slow the program down.  You can even choose to manually enter the sales by categories instead which will help out the speed issue greatly.

blah
Level 3

Yeh that is fine to import dead last if you don't have 5 different brokerages with thousands of transactions... haha, even just one of them causes endless hours of spinning that never works.

call support and they just claim they never seen it, I finally solved the issue for years now, by never importing and just simply entering in transaction totals like your second suggestion. 

I think importing is fine for someone with only a few transactions in their brokerage accounts over the past year, but when You have hundreds of pages of transactions, the import feature is not smart enough to resort to just totals and tries to import every single transaction.

I did try your first idea many times, but it just never worked for me, because just the tax review even would spin indefinately and eventually time out after 30 minutes or so and send a failure message and blame it on my high speed internet being to slow... LMAO.   Even call in to support and their first claim is your internet must be to slow... LOL...    even when you have super high speed interenet...

But entering the totals will work everytime, so I just manually enter everything.   You have to do that anyway if you want to claim US Government dividend write off.   That info you have to calculate by hand, import never takes care of that right off, for instance government bonds, are TAX free at the federal level or ETFs that are mostly based on tax free bonds, if you don't hand calculate the right off and enter it, the import will not give you the tax break you deserve.

I think that the advertised 10,000 transactions per brokerage is BS.  I don't have 10,000 transactions but, nevertheless, my TerribleTax software does not work.  I am using the downloaded version, Windows 10, Home & Business.

Thanks, if you manually enter brokerage totals, do you have to mail hardcopies of brokerage statements or tax forms to the IRS?  (It seems that TerribleTax is warning me about that.)

blah
Level 3

Where do they advertise being able to handle 10,000 transactions.    It used to start choking at only 100, to total sums so much easier.   Brokerage companies keep track of wash sales so that you don’t have to.  No need for every transaction.   Over Kill.    In turbo tax online when you enter manually it does not want you entering more than three transactions, if you have more than three it shows to use sum

totals.    To bad their import does not obey their own rules.   LOL

Here is their claim of 10,000 transactions per brokerage:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/[product key re....

Apparently, it's total BS.

blah
Level 3

After you enter them manually, it will ask you to upload the tax form.  Turbo tax will take care of sending them the copy you uploaded to them.  

i forget where it asks.   I think after you hit done with sum totals.   But don’t forget to enter the 1099-DIV and 1099-INT portion as well.   

also look through fir US Government portion of dividends, usually has a percentage, multiply that percentage by the total dividend and they will ask you to enter that as a tax write off.   It will pop up and ask if any of the dividends were US government.  

Thanks, the DIV and INT portions were imported along with the stock transactions.  I deleted the stock transactions but kept the DIV and INT portions since they seem to be correct and are not slowing the computer down significantly.

blah
Level 3

Awesome and Excellent, but remember the 1099-DIV import will not credit you the US-Government portions, every brokerage shows it differently.   You have to read the fine print in the 1099-B pdf.   Maybe search for U.S. Government, or US Government.   It should quickly take you to a section that shows a percentage of US Government obligations.

Some brokers don't even put it on there 1099-B you have to go to their website and find it from there.   Unless you have a lot of treasury funds or muni bonds, it may not amount to much, but I will even sum up the less than a penny write offs, some funds are like 99% US Government, and that makes almost the entire dividend tax deductable.

Seems like ticket Master.    Or HP printer as Instead of needing ink it is $39.99 to input data

5 minutes to save every line in medical inputs or just timing out.  05Apr 2023

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the following steps which may help clear the loop you are experiencing:

• Log completely out of Turbo Tax.
  • Then, clear your cache and cookies within your browser and completely close out of it.  I have included the Help Articles below if you need assistance with clearing cache or cookies.
  • Re-open the browser and log back into Turbo Tax and see if this fixes the situation.
    • You can also try a different browser as well, or "incognito mode".

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, please reach back out here in the thread and someone will follow up with the next steps. 

Clear Cache

Delete Cookies

@Robin55555 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is yet another boilerplate response.  The problem is happening with the downloaded version of the program (which has been my experience), as well as the on-line version, from what I hear other say.

Clearing cache and cookies and whatever has no effect - this has been proven multiple times.

I received the following update two days ago via e-mail:

Hi there, 
We’re reaching out to you because you may have noticed that it’s been difficult to import up to 10,000 stock transactions into your TurboTax account.
Good news! We’ve been working to fix the issue and we’re happy to share that you now have the ability to upload as many as 10,000 transactions per brokerage account. Please give it 2–3 minutes for the upload to complete.
If you have any questions, please call us at 800-4INTUIT, 5 AM to 9 PM PT throughout the week.
Warm regards,
TurboTax Desktop Team

I tried it....and it works so far on my downloaded business turbotax!  I was able to import my transactions and still able to navigate to other sections of my tax form...first time this year...I am hoping it lets me file.  First positive change I have seen in a while.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies