Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why does the review of my taxes show "Dividend Income Worksheet: Payer has too many characters."

Go to your dividends list in your federal dividends page and shorten the longest name, in my case even though it was an IOWA error, it was in my federal worksheet.  I had to take the LLC off the longest name. 

Why does the review of my taxes show "Dividend Income Worksheet: Payer has too many characters."

to what ? just Vanguard ?

Yes, that will work. Just make sure the one you are changing is the longest named one. I had 2 and Mine wasn’t Vanguard but bla bla bla Financial Services LLC and I just took the LLC off and the error resolved. 

I have the same problem with it telling me that the div income wrksheet payer has too many characters.  But it showed the iowa information worksheet.  Finally I went to the Federal dividends worksheet and shortened Wells Fargo Clearing Services, LLC  and I'm no longer getting that message.  They need to take the user to the proper form in that review so we don't waste so much time figuring out that what we're looking at isn't what we're supposed to see!

I, too, ran into this problem. Guessing many, MANY Iowa taxpayers are, too.

This is idiotic. You'd think the process would tell us WHERE the problem is but, it doesn't. It throws a form in the window which appears to be unrelated to the error.

The ONLY reason I came to TurboTax this year is because H & R Block's Iowa software is a cluster****. Apparently, TurboTax is just a different kind of cluster****. Neither one leaves me with any confidence that either is better than the other.

ETM
Level 2

I am still experiencing this problem, in spite of following the advice provided.

In addition, after spending more than a hour on the phone with support (for which they initially wanted to charge me for the service), I learned that the tax form that I need to file my Iowa state return as a non-resident will not be available until April 10. (2023 IA 1041 K-1)

It's simply absurd that today, after my husband spent almost 2 hours with 3 different employees of this company, none of them had an answer for him. The advice offered was simply to start the Iowa State Taxes over again or simply submit it without that final check.  Quick note - we buy your product to use ALL the tools to be sure we are filing correctly - but, yeah, let's just skip that last part.  Great advice!

When I arrived home from work to find my husband frustrated over this, he took me through the issue and we tried a couple of things but it still showed the same error. I decided to type the error into my search engine and this discussion was first in my results! We fixed the error in less than ten minutes!

Hey, Intuit/TurboTax - this issue was posted on YOUR community forums site over a month ago! And, the answer to the problem is RIGHT HERE! You should be ashamed one of your customers had to figure out the answer and further humiliated that no one from your company could do a search and find the answer here, like many of us have done.  (Btw, thank you to everyone who posted here to help others looking for help.)

Not only is your software not working properly, but your resources for help are not either.  If this is just an Iowa problem - everyone in Iowa who used your product for filing should be reimbursed the price of the software.

And, yes, I am well aware this message will never be read by anyone from the company. Up to this date, it's quite clear no one from the company has read any of these messages - otherwise the support center would be aware of the issue and know how to fix it. - But, I feel better for having written this.

I currently have this same error message, for an out-of-state Iowa filing, but shortening the National Financial Services LLC name down in the Dividend Worksheet has not cleared the issue.   I have gone through this multiple times, with all sorts of short combinations, and have quickly stepped through the Federal and then Iowa state forms to see if that would allow it to recognize the updated field.  Looking through all the previous posts, I also made sure there were no zeros entered into blank fields.  I am at a loss at this point.  SMH

I forgot to mention - this issue only shows up for my Iowa state taxes, Minnesota state taxes have no issue.  However it is still preventing me from completing my e-filing of everything today

I spent an 1 hour and 26 minutes on the phone with a customer service rep and went through nearly every iteration and still no luck.  Finally I decided to skip the e-filing of the Iowa return and print it out and send manually.  

It wouldn't link or highlight on a page anywhere what was wrong, just said "Dividend Income Worksheet".  So I shortened the name by a ton of characters on the federal form, deleted the Iowa form, then had redo the entire state form for it to finally work.  Huge pain and definitely a TurboTax and Iowa problem that other people aren't having to deal with. 

Ron-Iowa

I have the same issue with Iowa.  Suffix should be blank but it give me the Payer name is too long.....

bstroh

This was my error too.  My Fidelity dividend sheets had "National Financial Services LLC", and had to drop the "LLC".  

Turbotax need to fix the error pointing you to the "suffix" of the taxpayer name, and point it to the real problem on the dividend sheet.

Others have posted solutions to the Dividend Income Worksheet error.  I tried all of the suggested fixes, including deleting and restarting my Iowa tax return. When these did not work, I started making changes to the Interest Income Worksheets.  Still no help.  Finally, I shortened the company name on a Schedule K-1, and that fixed the problem.  So, if you cannot clear this error on an Iowa tax return, look beyond dividend income worksheets.  I am not at all thrilled with Intuit right now.

mlem7

I'm having the same issue, looking forward to a resolution

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies