Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjack2323

Why do I have to upgrade to get the American Opportunity credit? If I do not upgrade that means that I do not get the credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why do I have to upgrade to get the American Opportunity credit? If I do not upgrade that means that I do not get the credit?

The Free Edition can only handle very simple tax returns that don't require any forms other than the 1040. The American Opportunity Credit requires Schedule 3 which is not supported by the Free Edition. That is the reason you must upgrade to Deluxe.

There is another free product from the Free File Program that you may be able to use instead of the Free Edition and without having to upgrade. 

You qualify if you had $36,000 or less AGI or $69,000 or less military family AGI or qualify for EITC. Click on See if you qualify then Yes (if you do) then Start Now button, then choose Create an Account.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program

You upgrade to get access to the forms required.

No Forms, no credit.

app1axa

What's bad is that the form is only needed if you were previously denied or reduced.  Just another money grab.  The question is prompted once but then you can not get back to it again.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an old thread that may have outdated information. Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

As long as you have not filed your tax return, you can revisit any section to make changes using the topic search feature in TurboTax Online. On the left-hand side go to Tax Tools>Tools >Topic Search or Topic List. Then type the section or form that you need to update in the search box and click Go.

@app1axa

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies