Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I copy/paste passwords into the import brokerage logon screen?

Yes @swabbinsky that's what I did until I got used to AutoHotKey well enough to find that easier.  I just changed the password to P@ssw0rd (a well known password that passes all the stupid checks and that crackers always test for).

The issue I encountered with some accounts is that they disable re-use of a prior password as well, so I went through password sequences like this:

DGgYR@#5!xv&8M&glSbDdiIaQj0#GBcyifLHujNs

P@ssw0rd

O?Mhkov6JzXgv4@hGu4vP6eP4s0b1iwV$KdIdWha

(Actually, they were normally 64 characters long, but the DashLane generator is now limited to 40).  Unfortunately I then had to go and update the password in Quicken; while it is no longer owned by Intuit and much better as a result it still has its own separate password database.  Having to do all that work was what actually caused me to stop changing the password; not the security risk of using every crackers favorite password.

@swabbinskyI basically ended up doing the same thing. I know another solution was presented to use autohotkey script and that works as well, but I thought it was easier to change my strong password to a weak password, download what I needed and then change it back to a strong password. How TurboTax can possibly think that is safer is beyond my comprehension. If anyone has a recommendation for alternative software let me know as I'm not using TT if they don't fix this.

I tried H&R a couple years ago and found it particularly difficult to understand so I came back to TT.  I also do volunteer tax prep for low-income & seniors using Tax Slayer.  I don't know if it has the import as we don't use its interview.  It's alright but has its bugs too.  

Your "fix" does not work!!!!!!!!

No more TurboTax for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This works!  Thank you.  Most of my financial passwords are 30 character jibberish.

I'm sure some yahoo at intuit is very proud of how they fought off all the hackers with this brilliant feature.

I should have been more clear in my angry outburst. The fix I said that didn't work is what is recommended at the beginning of this string. I am unwilling to change all my passwords and then have to change them back just to fit a very bad programming set of errors by TurboTax.

Again I will vote with my $.

Unwilling to change your passwords isn't the same as doesn't work.

Maybe not desirable but it works.

I wasn't willing to change passwords either.  But letting others know is worthwhile if they are willing to go through that.

Yeah.  It is a bit complicated.  Here's my solution; it doesn't just solve the problem in TurnipTax, it works everywhere!  And it uses a completely secure password so it meets all the security requirements.  Here's what we do; we all change all of our passwords to this:

@NcevySvefg21

Edit: fixed the product name using an automatic smelling corruptor; these things are worshipfull, everyone should use one.

Dave6255

I'll just add my voice to this... it drives me nuts every year that I cannot paste into the import password field. Time consuming and frustrating to type long complex and often auto-generated random characters.  Such an easy fix, just fix it! Please.

--Dave

I'm a software engineer and also agree that blocking copy/paste of passwords is stupid at best. It would probably take a half decent programmer all of less than a day to fix this and would remove all 6 pages of these complaints on this thread.

Please fix. I would just fix it myself if I could.

Another vote to fix this.  It's absolutely asinine to block copy/paste.

Intuit, ARE YOU LISTENING ?!?!?!?

No

Why would you think they would be listening.  You're just a customer who already gave them your money.  Oh, besides what have you done for them lately (my guess to their thought process).

My plan for next year is to call and ask.  If the answer is the same, will take my business elsewhere.         

This is mainly a user-to-user discussion forum, not TurboTax support.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Pasting in the user name and password seems to work fine.  I just tried it with my Wells Fargo account and it logged me right in.

I tried it both using online and the Mac desktop version - works for both.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies