Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will tax form 8911 be available

When will tax form 8911 be available?  It’s February.  I’m super disappointed at how difficult it is to get a simple answer to a TurboTax software question.  I’m wondering if H&R Block is any better.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
CheriS
Intuit Alumni

Greetings @Dana2

It is not yet known if this credit will be renewed for the 2018 tax year. 

Per the instructions for Form 8911: "The alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit expired for refueling property placed in service after 2017. At the time these instructions went to print, Congress had not enacted legislation on expired provisions. To find out if this legislation has been enacted, go to IRS.gov/Extenders. ". 

EVpower

When will the 2019 tax form 8911 be available?  I understand that the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit was renewed / reinstated for tax year 2019.

@EVpower wrote:

When will the 2019 tax form 8911 be available?  I understand that the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit was renewed / reinstated for tax year 2019.

There is no date specific for the Form 8911 as the IRS has yet to provide the updated form or instructions for tax year 2019.

Ngtx

when is IRS required to provide an updated form after legislature has been placed in force.

@Ngtx wrote:

when is IRS required to provide an updated form after legislature has been placed in force.

That is entirely up to the IRS.  In the past, when Congress has passed a late tax bill it has taken the IRS several months to supply the new forms.   The IRS first writes the new paper form, then the instructions,  then they must write the  electronic specifications for that form and get that to the e-file providers, like TurboTax.  Only then can the e-file providers write the new form with must then be submitted back to the IRS for approval before it can be released to customers.  That usually takes 2-3 weeks after the IRS issues the paper form.     Hopefully that will be done prior to the April 15 due date.

That is only one of several affected forms.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I just found out that Public Law 116-94 retroactively extended the Alternative Fuel Station Tax Credit (Form 8911) through Dec 2020 for equipment put in place after Dec 2017. This allows you to make a credit of 30% or $1000 (whichever is less) for the equipment and installation cost of an EV charger in your home (to include panel upgrades etc).   IRS has a new form 8911 rev. 2/2020.   Up to Intuit to update Turbo Tax for 2019 and 2018 form.   Not sure how long that will take.   I need to amend my 2018 return since I installed it during that year so will be waiting for that to happen soon.  Hope they are listening.

It's crazy that it's taking this long.  IRS information has been updated and its nothing new  so it should be straight forward.  

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911

"Credit extension.

The section 30C alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit is retroactively extended for fuel sold or used in calendar years 2018 through 2020. Don’t claim the credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling credit for fuel sold or used after 2020, unless the credit is extended again.

Periodic updating.

Form 8911 and its instructions will no longer be updated annually. Instead, they’ll only be updated when necessary. Use these instructions and Form 8911 (Rev. February 2020) for tax years beginning after 2017.

For 2018 claims, use Form 8911 (Rev. February 2020) because it has lines 1 through 7 available, if needed."

The 8911 for is scheduled for the 2/20 update.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Where is that information available (that TTax will include that form with an update on 2-20)?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

We recommend that you sign up within TurboTax to be notified when your form is ready. When you try to e-file a form that's not available yet, you'll get a message with the option to sign up.

Please click on Review, on the left menu.  You may see a message "Some of your tax forms are not ready".  Below the message, you can select the link that says "I want to sign up for email notifications

Please see the TurboTax help topics below for assistance:

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

State forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

8911 is now in TurboTax. do not use the Jump to 8911 option in help. Instead go to the Energy Efficient Vehicle deduction in Deductions and Credits. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The forms are available for both online and desktop versions. 

To create the Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit, here are the steps:

In TurboTax, 

• After sign back into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, select Federal
  • From the top, select Deductions & Credits
  • Scroll down to section Cars and Other Things You Own
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station
  • Enter the information on the screens that follow
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
raviss
Returning Member

Thanks for these steps. I am using TurboTax Online for PC and was trying to amend my 2018 return. 

I just tried a variation of these steps. I first started off by clicking on Amend my 2018 return and then went through similar screens, I didn't get a Federal tab, but was able to into Tax breaks section and add the "Energy Efficient Vehicle Charging Station"

The amount in the refund monitor never changed after that, I went ahead few other screens going through completeCheck and what not but there were no differences in the original return and the amended return.  Any suggestions on what could be missing?

PS: I don't think I am subject to AMT either, my 2018 return doesn't even have Form 6251 filed with the return.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

It will take some time before we can release an update to the 2018 amendment software to address the issues brought up by the tax extenders.

We will notify customers when the 2018 software is updated.  At this time, we do not have an estimated timeframe for those updates. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies