Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will I be able to purchase software updates for 2020 Form 1040?

When will I be able to purchase software updates for 2020 Form 1040? I want 2020, NOT 2019 or some earlier version.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The software for 2020 returns will be available in mid to late November.  You do not purchase an "update" though.  Each tax year has its own software.  2019 software cannot be updated for 2020.  If you are using desktop software you need the new 2020 software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The software for 2020 returns will be available in mid to late November.  You do not purchase an "update" though.  Each tax year has its own software.  2019 software cannot be updated for 2020.  If you are using desktop software you need the new 2020 software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you very much for a straight forward answer.

Also note that the November release is only a very preliminary version lacking many forms that the IRS will not even release until sometime January.   Also Congress has until Dec 31 to make tax law changes that can cause forms to be revised and that takes time.   There will probably be several updates before a return can be completed and filed.  Usually the IRS does not open filing until the end of January.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies