Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I securely upload my 1099-B from Etrade to turbotax, only the first sale of each security is uploaded. Is there a way to fix this without manually entering?

My summary says there were only 4 sales, but there were actually only 4 securities and 12 sales.  That's just for my first account.  In my second account, it says there were 55 sales, when there were actually 69 sales.  Those are also mislabeled with the first half of a security name on one transaction and teh second half of a security name on the 3rd transaction (the 2nd transactions are missing).  It could be worse.  I imagine Etrade and Turbotax not talking correctly will mess up ALOT of peoples tax returns.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I securely upload my 1099-B from Etrade to turbotax, only the first sale of each security is uploaded. Is there a way to fix this without manually entering?

I have officially combed through my sales.  I can now confirmed that deleting the original import and re-importing worked and my information was transferred correctly.  There were more transactions than I thought there should be the second time because I miscounted.  I only counted Box A (short term sales) and failed to flip the page and see Box D (Long term sales).  Thank you for your help.  In case someone else has the same issue I posted my fix for it.

Note:  The first time I had multiple forms imported (like 8).  When I re-imported I only had the specific 1099-B that I was working on.  It is possible that importing one at a time did the trick.  It was the only thing I did different the second time around.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

It still may be a little early for final 1099-B forms.  Not to say there is not an issue with the download but 1099-B forms must be mailed to recipients by February 16, and e-filed with the IRS by March 31 each year.

As of this writing we are only 1 day from February 16 so you might contact E-Trade and make sure the download information is complete.

You can securely import your 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or 1099-R into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our TurboTax Partner program.

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.

You can also jump straight to the section for your specific 1099 form. Here's how:

With your return open, search for the form – For example, search for “1099-B”.

Click the Jump to link in the search results.

Now follow the screens and you’ll be able to import your form.

Tip: When selecting your financial institution or brokerage from the list, be sure to select the right one. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the "wrong" First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3389470

Thank you for the quick response. 

I think my terminology isn't right.  When I said Upload, I meant import.  The method you described is exactly how I got my 1099-B.  I actually wasn't expecting it this fast and was rather excited to see it here so early.  Usually I have the physical form but have to wait for the upload another week or so.

Update on what I have figured out so far:  I deleted one of my 1099-B imports (the smaller one) and re-imported it.  It now says I have 16 sales (which is more than I thought I had earlier).  I will update once I have figured out if I miscounted or something else is wrong this time.  Maybe, like you said, it just needs more time for Etrade to get everything ready to import.

I have officially combed through my sales.  I can now confirmed that deleting the original import and re-importing worked and my information was transferred correctly.  There were more transactions than I thought there should be the second time because I miscounted.  I only counted Box A (short term sales) and failed to flip the page and see Box D (Long term sales).  Thank you for your help.  In case someone else has the same issue I posted my fix for it.

Note:  The first time I had multiple forms imported (like 8).  When I re-imported I only had the specific 1099-B that I was working on.  It is possible that importing one at a time did the trick.  It was the only thing I did different the second time around.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies