turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

T101
Returning Member

When and how much I should convert traditional IRA/401K to Roth IRA with minimum tax impact?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AdamNe
Employee Tax Expert

When and how much I should convert traditional IRA/401K to Roth IRA with minimum tax impact?

Hello @T101 !

Because Roth conversions are essentially treated as income (assuming the contributions to the previous account were tax free), you will want to keep your total income in mind when converting. 

Without knowing your income without the conversions, it is impossible to give you a number, but many people will try to avoid any portion of their conversion being taxed at the "big jump" tax brackets (12% to 22%, and 24% to 32%). For example, if your taxable income without the conversions is very low, you can try to only convert as much in one year as keeps you under the 12% tax bracket ceiling. Or, if you are in a higher income level, you can keep an eye on the 32% threshold in the same way. 

Keep in mind, if you have any non-deductible contributions in your IRA or after-tax contributions in your 401k, you will not be subject to taxes on 100% of your conversions. The calculation for how much is taxed is a bit complicated, but it is called the "pro-rata rule." 

I hope that helps answer your question! 

All my best,

Adam, EA

TurboTax Live Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies