Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the next step for filing frozen funds when a business filed chapter 11?

What happens next if I  can not access my savings from an account, as a creditor, to a business that filed chapter 11?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
carolineb
Employee Tax Expert

Hello @Delturba01

If you find that your account has been frozen by the bank, contact the bank as soon as possible. The bank will then let you know whether it froze your account to secure it as an advantage of the bankruptcy estate or to simply hold it as an offset against your existing debt to the bank.  After the freezing of accounts by the bank, funds can only be unfrozen and discharged upon a written petition from you to your bankruptcy trustee, or by filing a motion with the bankruptcy court. You may want to contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney. 

Good luck! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is related to FTX which caused the business to file  chapter 11 and the business froze withdrawals to my savings account. 

When do I file a loss, is it after the verdict of their bankruptcy to see if we can savage some loss? or can I file a partial loss now?

carolineb
Employee Tax Expert

For the many retail investors who had funds at FTX and were unable to withdraw them, the path to a tax deduction is not clear at this moment. Given the magnitude of this case, there is a possibility that the IRS may issue guidance relating to the case, or Congress might take action later this year. For this reason, many investors have filed an extension for their tax returns in the hopes of IRS issuing guidance but with the extension deadline around the corner, it seems unlikely that we will hear anything from the IRS on this issue any time soon. 

Internal Revenue Code (IRC) §165(g) allows for a deduction “if any security which is a capital asset becomes worthless during the taxable year”. In that case, taxpayers can treat the security as sold on the last day of the taxable year for $0, and deduct their tax basis. There are two issues with attempting to use this code section to deduct the loss. First, digital assets or crypto assets are not within the definition of security as per  IRC §165(g)(2). Second, the assets are not worthless. The amount the retail investors will be able to recover remains unknown. However, customers will be able to recover a portion of those funds when the dust settles. While this is better than suffering a total loss of funds, it complicates the tax situation as the amount of the loss may not be known for a while. To deduct a loss for tax purposes, you must know the amount of the loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much.

I didn't invest in crypto, the financial institution I opened a saving with was a creditor to FTX. I did cash deposits into the savings account.  This is exactly a scenario of Gemini customers to earn a higher interest on a savings account, but the funds are frozen from withdrawals until we learn if the chapt 11 company acquire funds

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies