Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VVB
Level 1

What is the best way to take advantage of federal solar tax credit

I am installing solar panels on the roof. Will I be able to use the federal tax credit only if I owe some taxes at the time I file the tax return? What is the best way to take advantage of the solar tax credit? Would it be reasonable to adjust federal withholdings, so that I would owe more taxes and the federal solar tax credit could be applied?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddZ1
Employee Tax Expert

That's a good question, @VVB.  If you overpaid your taxes through withholding and/or estimated tax payments, you would receive a refund of the credit amount.  However, remember the credit itself is not refundable.  So any excess credit that could not be used to offset overpayment in 2022 would be a carryforward to future years.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddZ1
Employee Tax Expert

Hello @VVB!  Thank you for your question.  

As you may already know, the federal tax credit for residential solar energy for 2022 is 26% of the total cost of the solar panels.  This credit is a non-refundable tax credit, which means it can only be used for taxes that you owe.  You cannot use the credit to get money back from the IRS.  If you do not utilize the entire credit in 2022, you can carry the credit forward and use the balance in future years.  While you can adjust your federal withholding at any time with your employer, there is no need to do so to take full advantage of the credit because you can carryforward any unused credit amount to future years. 

Here is a helpful article about the federal tax credit for residential solar energy:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/going-green/federal-tax-credit-for-solar-energy/L7s9ZiB4D

VVB
Level 1

Thanks for the explanation, ToddZ1. I have a follow up question. Am I going to get a tax refund, if due to the reduction in tax liability (due to applied solar tax credit) there was overpayment during the year (my employer deducts taxes for me over the course of the year)?

ToddZ1
Employee Tax Expert

That's a good question, @VVB.  If you overpaid your taxes through withholding and/or estimated tax payments, you would receive a refund of the credit amount.  However, remember the credit itself is not refundable.  So any excess credit that could not be used to offset overpayment in 2022 would be a carryforward to future years.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies