Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I don't have an EIN but I'm self-employed? What do I put on 1099-NEC payer's EIN? Is it my ssn that I have to put on that form too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

What if I don't have an EIN but I'm self-employed? What do I put on 1099-NEC payer's EIN? Is it my ssn that I have to put on that form too?

No, you do not use the EIN of the issuer as your identifying number.

When you enter the information from your 1099-NEC, you will be asked their number. Copy it from the form. Schedule C will automatically use your social security number, unless you provide it with your own EIN.

I don’t have a 1098-nec form. Self-employed and got paid cash. I’m in form 1099-nec and it ask me for the payer’s EIN I don’t have one so my question is do I put my ssn or what do I do ?

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

If your income was cash, you would not use the 1099-NEC form.  

If your self-employment income was only from cash, personal checks, credit card payments, or cryptocurrency: 

• Open your return and type Schedule C in the Search box.
  • Select the Jump to link.
  • This will take you to where you can enter any cash, personal checks, credit card payments, or cryptocurrency (Form 1099-K) related to your self-employment.
  • You may first be asked some general questions about your business.
  • After you answer them, you’ll be taken to the Let's enter the income for your work screen.
  • Select Other self-employed income and provide all necessary information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. After I did that at the end when reviewing it still ask me to put the EIN, even though I selected other self employed 

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Starting tax year 2020, Form 1099-NEC will be used to report independent contractor's income,  If you paid more than $600 to someone, you must issue a form 1099-NEC by February 1, 2021  If EIN is not filed or unavailable, you can use your SSN as payer's identification number.

CCarper95
Returning Member

I am having this same issue, and it is not accepting my SSN under "payer's federal EIN". The window also says "Employer identification number cannot be the same as the taxpayer's social security number".

I do not have a Payer's EIN available, and I will not receive one. What do I need to do to get around this?

Why would you try to enter your ssn as the PAYER?  You didn't pay yourself. Did you get a 1099NEC or 1099Misc from someone?

Just enter it as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income.  You don't need to get a 1099NEC or 1099K.  Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash.  Only the total goes to schedule C.

How to enter income from Self Employment

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

CCarper95
Returning Member

Joanna said above: "If EIN is not filed or unavailable, you can use your SSN as payer's identification number." Did I misinterpret that?

I didn't get any kind of 1099, and I tried to do the Other. Unless I did it wrong, it still wants me to put in an EIN at the very end.

CCarper95
Returning Member

Also, I followed the instructions on that link. I get to the end where it says "Let's make sure everything is accurate" and press "Fix Federal Return" and it still wants me to fill out a 1099-NEC and enter a payer's federal EIN.

Just wanted to reply to this,  as I had the same problem and came across this as I was looking at how to solve it and figured it out at least on my end.  I entered my income (Crypto Mining) as 1099k as was suggested above but kept getting at the end that I had to review,  and there was no EIN number on my 1099-NEC worksheet.  I guess going through the questions a worksheet for a 1099-NEC was added to my return and being there it needs the number.  Just go on the left hand side and select Tax Tools,  then Tools,  then select I'd like to delete a form.  Find the 1099-NEC worksheet and delete them.  That doesn't affect any money entered into your 1099k,  at least it didn't for mine.  After that it should get rid of the error since the worksheet isn't there needing the number,  which it shouldn't be since you are not using it. 

sus453

I am self employed, and paid other three independent contractors with a 1099 form. On the form, I was only asked to write my social security number. On TurboTax it says I need an EIN number (and have to pay $255 for it). Is it possible to use the social security number? 

Thanks.

Yes you can u se your ssn for self employment and to issue 1099NEC.  Some people want to get an EIN so they don't give out their ssn.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies