turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fg9
Level 2

Ways to Lower AGI to qualify for full 2021 stimulus and child tax credit for newborn

Had a baby this year, which means we'll be eligible to receive a full stimulus check and child tax credit for them when it comes to file 2021 taxes assuming our AGI is under $150,000 (married filing jointly). Our income may come in $5-$10k above $150,000 (some of our compensation is commission-based so it's a bit of a guessing game at this point). In anticipation of this I was looking into ways to try to lower our AGI before EOY to be able to receive the full stimulus check for our baby and the full child tax credit. I was thinking of beefing up my contribution to my employer-sponsored 401k plan. Am I correct in thinking that any contribution amounts to that plan will lower our AGI for this purpose? And if so, do employer matches (mine matches $.25 for every $1) factor into the deduction amount as well? And lastly, are there any other ways to lower AGI that I should be exploring?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Ways to Lower AGI to qualify for full 2021 stimulus and child tax credit for newborn

Duplicate question. Please post your question only once.

Answered in your other post of the same question.

In addition to what you posted if your spouse is not covered by a pension plan he can contribute to an IRA. Also up to $600 in cash/check donations to charity will lower your AGI if you take the standard deduction. 

fg9
Level 2

Thank you very much @rjs! Apologies for the duplicate post—realized that the question fit best in the other forum after I posted here. First time poster. Good to know! Thanks again.

fg9
Level 2

Thanks, @Bsch4477!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies