turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 Question - "Paid family leave"?

Hi,

I have a question regarding entering a W2 into Turbotax.

My company pays for Long Term Disability insurance through an insurer.   I have been receiving payments from that insurer because I am on Long Term Disability.  That insurer sent me a W2, which was expected.

My question is, when I enter this information into Turbotax, after I enter the amounts in all the boxes then Turbotax takes me to a screen and asks about uncommon situations, ie was this 'Family Paid Leave'?

Is this considered 'Paid Family Leave'?  I assume it is...

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Your Long Term Disability (LTD) payments are not considered Paid Family Leave. 

LTD payments are in lieu of salary/wages you are not able to earn because of a disability. They are reported as taxable wages on Form W-2, since your employer paid the premiums.

Paid Family Leave (PFL) is a benefit for individuals who need to take time off work to:

• Care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner.
  • Bond with a new child entering the family by birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
  • Participate in a qualifying event because of a family member’s (spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, or child) military deployment to a foreign country.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Your Long Term Disability (LTD) payments are not considered Paid Family Leave. 

LTD payments are in lieu of salary/wages you are not able to earn because of a disability. They are reported as taxable wages on Form W-2, since your employer paid the premiums.

Paid Family Leave (PFL) is a benefit for individuals who need to take time off work to:

• Care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner.
  • Bond with a new child entering the family by birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
  • Participate in a qualifying event because of a family member’s (spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, or child) military deployment to a foreign country.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies