turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ycs770

W2 has married name. SS has maiden name

Hi

My wife got W2 from her work place ,  and one of them has the married name on it  (which appears on the marriage certificate) but the Social Security Card wasn't yet updated and it still has the maiden name. Can I still file it the way it is? What do i do?

P.S. she also has another W2 from a different work place which has her maiden name

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Many women do not change their names after marriage.  Use the name that matches her current Social Security card.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ycs770

Thanks for the reply but to clarify my question:

The W2 already has the married last name printed on it even though the Social Security Card wasn't updated yet.

So no when I go to file it for tax return what do I do? Is it gonna be an issue that the married last name is on it instead of the one on social security (which is maiden)? If it is an issue is there any way to solve it?

Bees
Level 7

The important place where the name has to match is on the personal information where you enter the names for the joint filer. That needs to match up with the SS records for the IRS to accept your return. Just assign the W-2 to the correct person,  People have gotten married before..they will figure it out.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies