Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VMCECCO

Unemployment Refund

When will I get my unemployment refund? I filed my taxes before the law was passed in March.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
WendyS
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment Refund

First, you'll want to review your return and confirm you included the unemployment compensation on your tax return. It would appear on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 7. If you didn't include the information there, you may need to file an amended return.

The IRS has said that payments will continue "throughout the summer," which means that unless we hear something else, payments could continue through September 22nd.Here is some information that may help you regarding payments for additional refund due:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m... 

Second, you'll want to confirm you are eligible for the benefit. The unemployment exclusion does not apply if your household income is over $150,000.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427... 

Please note that the reduction in taxable income did not automatically result in an additional refund for all taxpayers. For example, if your income has already been reduced by your standard or itemized deduction to the level of no taxable income, there will be no additional effect on the unemployment income exclusion.   You can confirm your taxable income on line 15 of your 2020 Income Tax Return.

If you would like to contact the IRS about the status of your refund, the IRS telephone number is 

1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning before heavy call volume.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kylebrendan
Returning Member

Unemployment Refund

I need to amend for State of Michigan as we filed before the unemployment exclusion was signed into law. I’m not seeing that Turbo Tax has any help section to walk me through what to do! Does Federal send me the new figures they changed or do I just subtract the $10,200 from mine and $10,200 from my husband’s? We filed married filing jointly. I received my letter from Federal but no check yet. We paid State taxes for the unemployment that we are due back.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies