Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to import from E*Trade, says "there isn't any tax-related info to import right now" even though 1099 consolidated is available.

I am trying to import my tax data from E*Trade and when I attempt to connect, I receive a dialog that says "The import was unsuccessful.  There isn't any tax-related info available right now. No problem - we'll help you enter the information and continue with your return."  However, I can see the consolidated 1099 documentation at E*Trade and also see that a csv is also available.  Why is Turbotax failing the import?  Part of the reason why I got Turbotax in the first place was that this functionality worked in previous years and I was expecting that this year would not be any different.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

90 Replies

Unable to import from E*Trade, says "there isn't any tax-related info to import right now" even though 1099 consolidated is available.

I am getting same error,  I downloaded the trades and I had 1512 and I am using the CD version (not online) so it should work.    How do we get support from Intuit?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

The problem sees to be on E-Trade's end.  Of course, if you ask them they will say it is on the TurboTax side.  I suggest try a different browser.  If that doesn't work, give it a day or two and try again.  Finally, I can't help you with the download if it's not working properly, but I can give you an alternative that is better than manually entering each transaction.  You can enter summary totals for each asset sale category.  It will require you to either upload to TurboTax a copy of your Form 1099-B, or mail it, with Form 8453, (which TurboTax will generate).  To do this in TurboTax Online:

• Click on Search and type in "Form 1099-B" 
  • Click on "Jump to 1099b"
  • Answer Yes to "Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales? "
  • Click on "I'll type it in myself"
  • Answer the questions about employee stock, etc.
  • Click on "Let's enter a summary" button and click Continue
  • Enter your Investment Sale information and repeat until you have entered for each category.

After entering all your category summaries, Look for "To finish reporting these sales, follow the mailing instructions" and click on the link for these instructions:

Mailing Instructions

Take a moment to double-check that your statements are complete. For each sale listed, there should be:

- A Description

- Date Acquired

- Date Sold

- Sales Price

- Cost Basis

- Gain or loss for each sale

- A sale category based on how the sale was reported to you and the IRS

In some uncommon cases, there will be an adjustment code and adjustment amount.

NOTE: Any sales summaries that include only Box A or Box D sales, and which have no adjustments to gain/loss, do not need to be included on a statement mailed to the IRS.

Here's how to mail your statements:

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you are not e-filing, then mail your statements with your entire tax return to your local IRS office.

* The questions you are asked by the program may vary depending upon what, if anything, you may have already entered related to investment sales.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I use the Microsoft CD version of TurboTax.  Seems I have 1940 transaction and maybe this is the cause.   How can I know for sure the actual cause of the failure?  Is it the number of transactions or formatting issues or $amounts ..  Thanks

others who did import from E-Trade post here that the results are garbled.

Maybe they've turned it off in order to fix it.

In my case it just says  Import unsuccessful,  there isn't any tax-related info to import right now.     In the past I had issues with number of transactions (I now have 1940) or amounts exceeding certain values.   If I know which one,  then I can act accordingly

I have also given the H&R Block software a shot and it is unable to download the software as well.  In addition to trying other software, I attempted the download after turning off all firewalls and virus protection and still was unable to download no matter which bit of software I tried.  I am wondering if there is an issue at the E*trade end which is preventing the import for some reason.

Tried importing from my Etrade account getting the error still.

Using the downloaded Deluxe version of Turbo Tax 2020.

I have over 5000 transactions and my schedule B is over 160 pages.

I think INTUIT owes the community a solution to this problem.  We purchased this product so that we don't have to MAIL any documents to the IRS.  We need this to be all "electronic".

Please fix this problem.

I can confirm to all that this is NOT an Etrade problem, because I was able to do my Mom's Taxes successfully and imported from her Etrade account into Turbo Tax without any problems.  She had less transactions than me.   I believe the number of transactions is the problem with INTUIT.   

Please fix this problem.

Has anyone been successful with this yet? I too purchased the desktop premier version due to the amount of trades I need to import.  Same message as others are receiving.  This import is the only thing holding me back from filing.  $100 spent for frustration and NO “manual input” is not the answer.  Please fix this or at least acknowledge that this is a problem on Intuit’s end.

For day trader doing more than 2000 transactions,  TurboTax can't handle.   It used to give this error before that u had more than 2000 transaction and recommended you return the product.  Now it just says unable to import.   If you want to keep TT,  you have to summarizes your trades and enter manually ..  But this defeat the purpose of purchasing TT in the first place.

I am still receiving the error as of today.  Does Intuit have any updates on fixing this? Taxes are due next month. I did not pay $100 for the desktop Premiere version to enter 1800 transactions manually so PLEASE do not even suggest that as an alternative.

any updates on this issue? it is very frustrating.

I was able to import trades finally, but every trade is missing the sale category, eg short\long covered\non covered.  Have a ton of trades, when will Turbo tax fix their software?

Tried importing my 1099 weeks ago and some trades were just missing from the import...  Can't believe we have to pay for this garbage software.

I have the same issue with importing J.P. Morgan transactions so it's not related to any one brokerage. I spoke with a TurboTax Customer Service representative this afternoon and she admitted it was a TurboTax bug and that she's received other calls on the problem. She also said she didn't think they were working on a fix. This is quite distressing, it would take me hours/days to manually go it and update the sale category for every transaction. I'm not a day trader, however, my investments are in investment pools that have hundreds or thousands of trades with fractional shares. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

TURBOTAX FIX YOUR **bleep**ING SOFTWARE.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies