Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Unable to Efile return

Please run Federal Review again to see if you have other forms that are not ready to e-file. The release dates for several forms were recently extended.

You can confirm the release date of TurboTax forms using this tool: Forms Availability Table

@mhtaylor1401 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unable to Efile return

Your software is telling me that I cannot file electronically because my return an unsupported form (3520).  This is bogus.  First of all the SW does NOT support 3520 for paper or electronic filing.  Secondly 3520 is NOT filed along with the regular 1040.  It is sent separately to a different IRS office in Utah.  Thirdly, I have been able to E-File my return using TurboTax for the past 8 years, despite needing to paper file 3520 separately.  

I need a timeline for this feature to be fixed.  Otherwise I want a refund under your satisfaction guarantee and I will file using one of your competitors.  I've used TurboTax continuously since 1996.  More and more frustrations have crept in over the past 5 or so years.  This one is a deal breaker for me.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Unable to Efile return

If you are getting this message in TurboTax regarding Form 3520:

"We Won't Be Able to E-file Your Return

It looks like you have a form or tax situation in your federal return that TurboTax doesn't support for e-filing. We do support it for filing by mail. 

Here are the details:

Your return contains one of the following unsupported forms: 3520, 3520-A, 5471, 8621, 8865

Don't worry, even though you are unable to e-file your return, we'll still help you file your return by mail." 

...then please try this additional step: 

Go back to Other Tax Situations and revisit Form 8938. Where TurboTax asks you to indicate whether you need to submit a Form 3520, don't mark the box for Form 3520. 

By clearing Part IV, Line 15 (Number of Forms 3520) from 1 to blank, you should eliminate the e-file error message.

See this discussion for more information about this solution.

See here for more information from IRS about Form 3520, Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts

Send Form 3520 to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service Center
P.O. Box 409101
Ogden, UT 84409

Unable to Efile return

Monika

While I appreciate the prompt answer, this is a workaround with potentially unacceptable side effects.  It would require me to file my return knowing that form 8938 contains invalid information.  Is Intuit going to indemnify me for any IRS penalty that may be assessed?  Or does Intuit have an official communication from the IRS saying that this is okay?

Have you opened an actual bug report for this issue so that your SW team can fix whatever code change has caused this to creep into TurboTax 2023?  

Thanks

Unable to Efile return

Is anyone from TurboTax support going to respond to my message?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unable to Efile return

The only other options to get around this issue this year are to either mail the return with the box marked on 8938 OR to also report the asset on 8938 (even though it is being duplicated on 3520) and e-file (in this case there isn't a need to mark that it's on 3520, since you're also reporting it on the 8938 making the IRS aware of the information.)

Reporting the asset on both forms will not cause any conflicts with the IRS, though it requires a few extra steps on the part of the taxpayer. 

Unable to Efile return

Or how about the option of Intuit fixing the bug.  I don't need to file for another month - it is pretty obvious this is a simple issue.  It should be trivial to fix.  

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unable to Efile return

Would one of you be willing to share a data file with me (scrubbed of all of your personal data) so that I may submit this issue to developers to request correction of the e-file error? 

Here are the steps to share your file:

If using TurboTax Online 

• On the left, click on Tax Tools
  • Under Tax Tools, click on Tools
  • In Tools Center, click on Share my File with Agent
  • You will then see a 7 digit "token" number

If using a download/CD version of TurboTax

• Open TurboTax, and your tax return
  • Select Online in the menu across the top of the screen
  • Click on Send Tax File to Agent
  • You will then see a 7 digit "token" number

Please return to this post and provide the token number in this thread.

@Jwilbe @texas_scot 

Unable to Efile return

Token number is 1208068

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unable to Efile return

Thank you, much appreciated.  

@texas_scot 

June YW
Returning Member

Unable to Efile return

TurboTax stated that my VA state return cannot be e-filed because VK-1 is not supported by e-filing and the rule is set by dept of Taxation. I called VA dept of taxation and they said no such a rule. I should be able to e-file with VK-1. It is software issue. Can anyone help me with this issue.

Thanks

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Unable to Efile return

The TurboTax Forms Availability Tool indicates that Virginia Schedule VK-1, Owner and Pass-Through Entity Information, is available and supported for e-filing with an individual return.

Please clarify -  where in the program you encounter the error message and the exact language. Were you at the final step about to file the state return? Also, which TurboTax product are you using?

June YW
Returning Member

Unable to Efile return

It was in the review step. The message says VK 1 is not supported for e-filing. When I tried to efile at the Filing step, same message was given. The VK-1 is pass through form to my personal return.  I am using desk top windows TT.

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Unable to Efile return

Form VK1 is available.  You should save and close your return.  Run any updates available on TurboTax Desktop.  Please see this FAQ.

Virginia S-Corporations Form Availability

If you continue having problems, feel free to contact us again.  

@June YW 

June YW
Returning Member

Unable to Efile return

VK-s is there. I have called help desk many times, each time took more than an hour but none succeeded. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies