Solved: Re: TurboTax Updates on Unemployment Tax Relief - Page 13

wfilbra

TurboTax Updates on Unemployment Tax Relief

@andytnguyensbcglobalnetIt is updated. Make sure the software is closed and then open it. Accept updates to the software. The $10200 (or Less) exclusion should be there if you had $10200 available to be excluded or any unemployment amount below that. Check your Forms Schedule 1 Line 8 to see if it shows the exclusion.

bgorden

I'm reading the desktop version updated today...mine has not. What do I need to do??

@bgorden wrote:

The update for the software was released today.

If you have a Windows computer start the TurboTax program.  Click on Online and click on Check for Updates

Verify your version.  Click on Help>About TurboTax>Version.  The current version is 020.000.1688

bgorden

Idk why I was thinking I use the desktop version, I haven't used that for years... Has the online version updated as well?

@bgorden wrote:

Yes, all the online editions were updated.

bgorden

Why would mine not be updated then? I even deleted my 1099G and re-entered it...nothing changed. It's still showing my full amount of unemployment benefits.

RobertRobert

I have Turbo Tax Deluxe.  It does not take into account the recent $10,200 exclusion of unemployment compensation for 2020.  It also does not provide the subtraction for unemployment compensation for 2020 that the State of Maryland recently enacted.

When will these updates be available?

syoung123

Re: the social security benefits worksheet, line 3 of this worksheet in the 1040 instructions book says to add Form 1040 line 8, which is from Schedule 1 line 9.  That includes the $10,200 unemployment tax relief (exclusion), which needs to be added back on line 3 of the worksheet to calculate the taxable social security.  So the amount on line 3 would be $10,200 higher.  The TurboTax program actually added the $10,200 back on the worksheet, so the amount shown on line 3 is proper.  it is just the line item label was not changed.  I was hoping the taxable SS would be lowered by the tax relief.  Oh well.

@RobertRobert wrote:

When will these updates be available?

The federal unemployment exclusion updates are available for all editions of TurboTax, online or desktop.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for state unemployment income - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/internal-revenue-service/help/how-is-my-state-taxing-unemployment-...

mustang1969

Hello,

That is the version I have but nothing has changed. schedule 1 line 8 is still blank. I had saved my work and went back into it and still no adjustment

@mustang1969 wrote:

Hello,

Is your 2020 Adjusted Gross Income $150,000 or more?  Have you entered any unemployment compensation on your tax return?  It would show on Schedule 1 Line 7.

Taxman19

I agree.

mustang1969

Yes, i'm under the $150000 and I have entered the unemployment . On the schedule 1 form line 7 has my amount but there isn't anything showing on line 8.

@mustang1969 wrote:

If your software has been updated and is at version 020.000.1688 and you have unemployment compensation entered and your AGI is less than $150,000, then there is no reason for not having that UC being excluded.

The only thing I can recommend is for you to close the program.  Re-boot your computer and then access the program again to see if the update took hold.

If not, contact TurboTax support for assistance

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

mustang1969

I have already exited program and restarted my computer, but that didn't work. I have the deluxe edition which really shouldn't have anything to do with it since the current version should be correct. thanks for trying to help. I will try to contact turbo tax to see if they know what is

going on. thanks again