turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax says I "overpaid social security tax" and have to upgrade to deluxe

I am near-certain that this is a system error. 

Yesterday, 4/29/2020 I filed taxes for Federal and 2 states which I lived in part year each. Everything was submitted successfully, and I saved a copy of my final return. The income situation is very minimal, 2 W2s, that's it.

W2-a: wage: $13,239.91 || social sec paid: $820.87

W2-b: wage: $4,286.20 || social sec paid: $265.75

Certainly this is not over the annual maximum contribution.

After submitting my turns without issue, I found out today (4/30/2020) that the return was rejected because of a typo in birth date. I had typed the year 1983, when it should have been 1985. I corrected that, and tried to resubmit (changing nothing else)  and was prompted to upgrade to deluxe for SS overpayment, which was not there yesterday.

I called TurboTax and they suggested I start over. So I re-entered everything from scratch. Same problem.

Did tax law change between yesterday and today? Did changing age from 37 to 35 change social security liability? I can't think of anything else. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Those amounts should be right.  Is that the wages in box 3 also (not just box 1).  Oh, did you enter box 3?

Try leaving the cents off.

Are you married?  Does your spouse have W2 income?  Maybe all the W2s are assigned to the same spouse so they all went over the max.

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,239.80.   So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

Thanks!

The wages are entered in Box 1,3 and 5 as on the W2.

Not married. These 2 W2s are literally the entire tax return. Filing single, no debt, no house, no kids, no investments, no deductions, no retirement plan, no interest or dividends. The entirety of the data provided is within these 2 W2 forms. 

I confirmed that for each W2, box 4 is exactly 6.2% of Box 3 and is well under the annual maximum.

I tried it by removing cents, didn't help, I was in the same situation.

I know that I didn't overpay social security and was able to submit everything 2 days ago without issue. It is very suspect that this problem is arising now without any change to the input data. TurboTax customer service was not helpful in troubleshooting and only suggested clearing out and starting again. I have now done that 3 times. At this point, the only thing that I can think of is to try with a different vendor and see if they give the same result. Any other thoughts?

Oh, and confirmed that A isn't selected in Box 12.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies