Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

I encounter this every year and find it very frustrating. I step through the sections, answer questions. Later I want to go back to find that specific question or topic and cannot find it. For example, question about the stimulus payment. I either skipped it or answered it and want to go back to change it, but cannot find it. There is no Search to search for it. Same with the question regarding virtual currency, can't go back, can't find it. I have tried stepping through again, but so frustrating. Don't know which section these are in. I do encounter this same every year with Turbo Tax software and find it extremely frustrating. Feel like some things are missing and then can't find them to go back. Now I am stuck trying to figure out where to find things to go back. I even looking in list view, and Show Topic List, no idea where to find something here.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

Agreed, the topic list is so difficult to use.  it does not use 'fuzzy search technology' and will only find things if you type it in exactly how it wants and who knows what the exact search is.  Hope that improves someday

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

I saw the question about the Stimulus Payment, I want to go back , but I have no idea where to find it. I assume under Income section. But even if I select Walk me through everything, I can't find it. Does anyone know how to get back to that question?

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

@everettdae The question about the 3rd EIP payment is in Federal Review for the recovery rebate credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

@xmasbaby0 Yes, in Federal Review section. Thank you!

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

What I find helpful is to go to FORMS, in the upper right of your browser.  Although it won't direct you to exactly where you want to go, it will list every form, TT has completed and you will see so much more info than you actually answered on the questions.  It took me a few years until I even noticed that was there.  Then, when you find the form with the question, you toggle back to "step by step" instructions.  The virtual currency question is on the form 1040 right below your name and address, and before the words "Standard Deduction".  The stimulus check questions might be under the tab "Federal Review".  Hope this helps. 

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

@nynj2me Users of online software do not have Forms mode.   Forms mode is a feature of the CD/download only.

It is a helpful feature if you are using desktop software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

Here is another example: I stepped through and want to go back to the Education Tax Credits - there were questions about Education , maybe form 8863, if we received the credit previously, if so how many times. I can't find that again. Why when I walk through it doesn't show up again? Searching has got to be improved with this product. Any ideas where I can 'go back' and find that page? I need to check to see how I answered it because I skipped it and want to go back, but now can't find it.  I went to Forms view I see it as the form Student Information Worksheet, now I have to find that page. I can't find it to go back and edit it, this is very frustrating.

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

I have desktop version and Forms , I see the form, but how do I get to that page back in the Steps? I can't find it again.

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

Click step by step while in the form and it will bring you to the input screen if you are lucky.

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

I found Education Tax Credits Under "Deductions and Credits".  Then "Education", then Scholarships and Expenses.  When you open that, the last category asks about education related "deductions and  credits" you might be due.  

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

Under Forms it is the Student Information Worksheet, the Questions on that form , specifically how many years has the American Opportunity Tax Credit been taken. I can't seem to navigate to that section in the Step-by-Step now that I have answered those questions, I can't go back? I have tried going back and forth, but this is an example of why the Walkthrough of Turbo Tax is frustrating.  I need to modify / update what was originally entered. This has happened in past years, can't go back, and find something.  I debated not getting Turbo Tax this year, specifically due to the poor navigation. I always feel like I am missing something. I guess I can update the Form itself, but would rather use Step-by-Step.

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

I need to be able to modify the question about how many times the AOTC was taken, but once that question is answered there is no way to go back to edit this?

There is a limit to the # of times someone can take this credit. Is this separate from the Lifetime Learning Credit? If they took 3 AOTC and 1 Lifetime Learning Credit? Are these counted separately?

How do we edit this , do we have to completely delete Education entries and start over?

Well, I figured it out - had to completely delete all the Education entries and start over to correct this. It is too bad we can't go back and edit entries on the pages. 

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

Ok, on your top tab, "Personal Information" and if you open forms, you will see the Student Information Worksheet.  All your worksheets are there.  You can click on "quick zoom" and make your changes.  I think at the end, before you file, preview your forms and/or save as a PDF and you will have all the actual forms that you can peruse before you actually file.  I also think, before you file, TT will check and have you fix anything that is not jivving.  

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax Walkthrough

The AOTC (American Opportunity Education Credit) is available to be claimed 4 times per eligible student. This is for each year of undergraduate school. The AOTC is 100% of the first $2000 of qualified education expenses and 25% of the next $2000 of qualified expenses paid for that student.

There is no limit on the number of times that the Lifetime Learning Credit can be used. The Lifetime Learning Credit is worth up to $2000 per tax return.

@everettdae

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies