Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax says I need California Form 540NR to complete filing my 2021 return. How can I get Turbo Tax to import the form that is now available on the CA Tax website?

Turbo Tax says the form will be available to file Feb. 10 even though it can now be accessed on the California Tax Website. Is there a way I can import that form to my Turbo Tax return? and possibly have Turbo Tax autofill with information already provided?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Turbo Tax says I need California Form 540NR to complete filing my 2021 return. How can I get Turbo Tax to import the form that is now available on the CA Tax website?

no, you can't import tax forms. if you have the Ca program you'll have to wait til TT finalizes the form in its app.

Thank you for your answer!

Elena_09

How long Does it take for TurboTax to receive the 540 nr forms ?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

This form, 540NR, is slated to be available on February 10, 2022.  Please check back at that time to see if you are able to complete and e-file your California return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm an international student and have entered my federal and state info for 2021 yet for TurboTax still generated a California Form 540 and not a Form 540NR. Are you certain that the California Form 540NR is available now? Or is there a Personal question that I answered wrong in that TurboTax generated a California Form 540 and not a 540NR?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you did not live in California in 2021, but have California-source income to report, you are correct that you would file a California Non-Resident return.

If this applies, make sure you indicated in the My Info section that you' earned income in other states'.

Click this link for steps on How to File a Non-Resident State Return.

If you lived in California, but need to file as a 'Non-Resident Alien' click this link for info on How to File as a Non-Resident Alien.

yyliao

I have the Mac version of Turbo Tax but it is March 10th now, my California NR540 is not available. 

What should I do

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The California NR540 is available for the Mac.

Click this link for a listing of State Forms Availability

Make sure you did not indicate in the Personal Info/My Info section that you are a 'California resident' or the Non-Resident form will not be generated for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies