Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

s17

Tubotax cannot connect to update site, code 42016

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
JuanJ

Error 42016: Unexpected content received may appear when updating.

(Older versions of TurboTax may display the message An exception of unknown type has occurred in conjunction with this error.)

Possible Causes

• Certain Windows registry keys have been deleted by another program.
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is missing required software updates.
  • Your computer's Internet connection or router may be configured incorrectly.
  • Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be experiencing a technical problem.
  • The Intuit Update Server may be experiencing a technical problem.
Solution

Important: There is a remote chance that the solution steps may corrupt or lose your tax data file. Before proceeding, back up your tax data file as a precaution (preferably to a removable device, such as a thumb drive). 

Then, follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Click here and run the Microsoft Fix it 50356 tool.
  2. When finished, try updating again by choosing Check for Updates from the Online menu in TurboTax.

If error 42016 persists:

1. Install the latest updates for Windows. Make sure you include:
    • The latest security updates; and
    • The latest Microsoft .NET Framework 4 updates.
  2. Be sure your Internet connection is working properly.
  3. Retry updating by clicking Check for Updates in the Online menu in TurboTax.
  4. If updating fails, wait and try again later, or download a manual update instead.

SLN12371

I have done everything it says and it still does nor work,

I am trying to find a number to call Intuit to get some help or refund. This is the first time I have ever had issues with TT. I have been trying for 2 days to get this to work.

Same here, never had an issue any other year. Now I can’t update and can’t download the state file needed. Took down all firewalls still the same. I’m about to jump ship on this software for the first time in decades

JBMD

I have had the same error code about not connecting to the updater. Talked to three different help people. The first two said this is a new known problem and to try some fixes. None worked. The third person today had no idea what to do. Each time they all asked the same questions like they didn’t have any of my info. I have used Turbo Tax for a decade with no issues. But I am done. 

JBMD

Nothing worked. 

JBMD

I agree. 

JBMD

Same problem. I am done. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for assistance with this Error:

Error 42016: Unexpected content received

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Murky

Why do people keep posting the same information that doesn't work???

Had the same problems and frustrations.  Called support desk twice with limited success.   Finally was able to get around the problem by using two approaches: (a) ask the support team to email you the patch they created as a workaround (perrelsuperpatch), and (b) for whatever reason the patch and submission process require you to be hard wired to your router to function properly.    Yes, I know that sounds unorthodox but the second support team member I was speaking with stated she has had some success with connecting via an Ethernet cord directly to the router and when I tried it (after working wireless without success) the state and federal filings finally went through. 

This is not a permanent fix as I had to go through the same process for each of the filings I wanted to submit (son and daughter returns as well).  Even after downloading and running the patch to get the first filing to go through I had to repeat the process for each filing (run the download again and be connected via the Ethernet cord) to get the software to file the returns. 

Hope that helps others.   

jdthayer

Nothing I've tried has worked. Ethernet answer isn't a solution either. My computer is hardwired to the cable modem and the problem still exists.

jdthayer

Have already marked that link as unhelpful. None of the procedures on that page either a) fixes the problem or b) provides enough information for me to fix the problem on my own.

CG777

I have same issue with the Erro code  42016 but cannot fixed till now. Anyone knows how to fix it. Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies