turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nolanand

TT keeps asking about my Principal Residence. I answer yes but it doesn't stay checked. CA State rejected my return. Has anyone else had this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
tberry

TT keeps asking about my Principal Residence. I answer yes but it doesn't stay checked. CA State rejected my return. Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes it is happening for my daughter, who answered that she could be claimed as a dependent on her parents' tax forms. 

Using the CA tax version 2020.11035 within Application 2020.419.040.

nolanand

I am also a dependent on my parent's taxes. I'm using CA form 8453-OL.  I think I figured out the problem, but it next to impossible to get TT on the phone.  My brother was able to file without a problem (He used TT deluxe version). Under "General info" he had a question about "Principal Residence" but it is missing from my version. 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If your return is being rejected for your county, it is important to note that the county name is case sensitive. The first letter of every word should be capitalized and you should only type the name of the county. For example, if you lived in Los Angeles county, you would just write "Los Angeles". 

@nolanand You can get back to this screen to reenter the county in TurboTax by following the steps below:

1. Click on State on the left column. 
  2. Confirm that a resident return in the State of California is being filed. 
  3. Click continue.
  4. Answer the questions about your 2020 filing.
  5. On the next screen, titled Your Principal Residence, enter your county of residence.

Once the California county is reentered as outlined above, you can continue to refile your return. 

If you need further assistance, please reach out to us.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies