Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TT 2022 Home and Business will not import previous year's return

I fixed the issue.  The old return was stored on my OneDrive which was not running.  Once I started the OneDrive I was able to import the return.  

First go into your documents and go into the Turbo Tax folder. Like they and make sure you see 2021 Your last name initial and and form 1040 Individual tax return. It will have a . Tax 2021 extension. 

If it's there you should be able to import it. If you used another computer last year you will have to go to that computer find the file the same way and right click after you have inserted a USB storagedrive and send to the E drive it whatever the drives letter becomes. Then transfer get it into the other computers Turbo tax folder. Ok assuming you have the 2012 file next  Go in TT22 to where it says (In my software anyway) continue your 2022 return and then it will show you any returns you've done for 2022 just below It says start a new return so if you click that It should say good news we found your tax info and will show the list if it's not on the list go below and click browse and find that 2021 in the TurboTax folder click it accept it and it should transfer for you. If you have a PDF file it's a different story usually if you can't find the file and it won't open it that means it's not on the computer

May sounds stupid but did you save them in the. Tax format?  You may have more than one TT folder? It sounds like you had no problems opening this return as you worked on it over several days.  So to me that doesn't sound like a software glitch. It was saved there previously. You can consider if your computer glitched your power flickered or was lost or if you have a malware on your computer. Do you have the TT folder in your documents still? Look inside is another Tt Folder within that? It's strange alright 

You could uninstall and reinstall the software if it is a glitch in it.  if those files are saved some where it will not delete files just the software.

So, for the record. I stopped and started a completely new tax return file. This time chose 'guide me' and it found my old tax file and imported it. It did not do this the first time. After working on entering all my information the only way I could get tax data from previous returns was to start completely over.

Far from ideal. There was NO menu or any option I could find to import a previous return manually.

The other contributor found his last year's file in the one drive. That is a good thing to check that your last year's taxes might be in the cloud backed up somewhere on one drive or in a back up drive did you go into your documents folder and into the Turbo tax folder and see if the file is there? If so click it and open it in the 2021 software and save as and make a new name. Make sure the end reads. Tax2021.

Pdfs don't transfer. If it's a PDF you will not be able to transfer

By now it is quite clear that PDFs don't transfer, as documented in the numerous posts regarding this concern.  It is my hope that Intuit reviews all these messages and is able to address this for next year, given that many have obviously been able to import PDFs in years gone by AND the fact that the program -- including this year's version -- continues to specify that PDFs CAN be used to import the previous years return!

@ASF01 wrote:

By now it is quite clear that PDFs don't transfer....

You are correct; PDFs do not transfer and that has been the case with TurboTax (and other DIY income tax preparation software) for years and years (i.e., nothing has changed).

Personally, I would not expect this to change anytime in the near future.

Believe your comments very correct. What a shame that TT has allowed such a decline in quality. Anothet example of ethics deterioration and quality. What next?

flin

I contacted Intuit support. Everything that was said in this stream is correct. I had the same problem and my data did not seem to import. But, it turns out that it was me that was the problem. I did my taxes last year on my laptop and the tax file was saved there by mistake. I had started the return on my desktop but when I saved the file, I forgot that I had saved it on my laptop. I opened the file from my laptop and saved it to the cloud and now the file is available for import to the current year. It had nothing to do with my conversion from Deluxe to Home and Business. If you open your 2021 program and the data is not there, it probably means that you are looking at the wrong file. Hope that helps you find the file you need. 

johnlight
Returning Member

My issue was in finding the options and instructions to the processes I inquired about.  I was not trying to import a PDF, but last year's TT copy itself to import my data and, as well, file for an extension through the software electronically as opposed to having to mail it in.  I don't understand why both actions are so oddly complicated and not presented right up front as the very first order of business once the software is installed.   1) option to import the file from last year and then 2) option to electronically file for an extension through the software if needed.  Despite using TT for well over a decade, I've spent far too much time getting these issues resolved this year.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies