Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Trying rgstr stimulus I pck married sep-my hsbnd didnt live w/me 2 yrs. Tells me I hav2 file mar joint it wants validate his prev yrs rtrn & don't have info. any ideas?

I agree. If you do not feel comfortable filing Single, since you're not, wait until the IRS supplies a way to update your information, or expect a check to be mailed to you. 

Below is a link to update your address with the IRS:

IRS change of address  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Trying rgstr stimulus I pck married sep-my hsbnd didnt live w/me 2 yrs. Tells me I hav2 file mar joint it wants validate his prev yrs rtrn & don't have info. any ideas?

RE: Catina

I have read all posts in the thread already....not sure what posts you are suggesting I re-read....or where anyone has provided a clear explanation of any of this....so....

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The very first comment from Diane - 

If you are registering for the Stimulus Payment you register as Single since you would file a Married Filing Separate.

What was your filing status?

(If married filing separately, choose Single)

It says this at the very top where the stimulus calculator is on the link she provided you.

@CatinaT1 

Yes, I am fully aware of that basic little snippet.  However, if you walk through the ENTIRE process.....in the submission portal, it still asks "were you married on Dec 31"......so a person is supposed to lie?  Because if you click yes and tell the truth.....you have to continue as MFJ or MFS.  If you continue as MFS (why is it even giving that option to click?).....it does not allow you to finalize.  The program then tells you to change it to MFJ.  Confused yet?!  Yet Turbo Tax and folks are telling us to file as single....(simply because of that little note on the home page stimulus calculator). 

And again.....my problem is....I am supposed to do this as MFS.  TurboTax portal says change it to MFJ!  People on here are saying file it as SINGLE! (becuase that little calculator says so before you even login).  Yet at the end of the submission, there is a PDF 1040 that is sent to state and IRS.....showing a person filing a simple tax return as single when they are married.  The 1040 being sent to the IRS is the issue....how am i supposed to proceed with sending the IRS a 1040 through this registration fully knowing my filing status is incorrect?  Nobody will explain THAT....people keep repeating that the little home page stimulus calculator says: click single.  Even though as you enter the portal and begin.....it gets more and more confusing.....

@CatinaT1 

I wish the "tax experts" commenting on this would stop looking at that stimulus calculator on the home page, and actually enter the registration portal to see what is happening......I'm fully aware the calculator says "if filing married filing separately, click single".....that is simply a quick calculator to estimate your stimulus amount.  Before you enter the actual process of logging in and entering legal information.  Because once you do that, it gets very strange.

1.  IN the portal, TurboTax suggests a MFS change to MFJ.

2.  Tax experts on the forums here keep saying "file as single!" simply because of that calculator.

3.  Can someone tell me with 100% certainty that when I complete this portal registration, and that 1040 that shows up at the end is sent to the IRS or my State, that they won't see that as a problem considering my wife has filed her taxes as MFS, and a 1040 in my name and SSN will appear at the IRS with me filing as "single"?  Impossible to get that answer......

This portal is flawed at best.

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

The reason why you choose the single option for your filing status instead of the married filing separate is simply to calculate your stimulus check amount. The IRS only has two categories of payment amounts for the stimulus check. The amount of stimulus payment for a single  (married filing separate) person is up to $1,200 and the amount for a married filing joint couple is $2,400. When you register for the stimulus check you are not filing a tax return, so it will not interfere with your wife's tax return. Just make sure that you selected register at the beginning of the process.

@CatinaT1 

Additionally:  the final step....I am supposed to check a box and provide an electronic signature that states I have answered all questions truthfully and am not committing perjury before submitting the stimulus registration and the simple 1040's are sent off......how can anyone advise someone to click that, when they are legally married.....and have been told by folks to "just click single" instead......and the 1040 shows a married individual as filing a simple 1040 as "single".

Y I K E S

@KatrinaB48 

Yes I understand that while on the home page stimulus calculator. 

I am talking about IN the actual submission.....at the end, a 1040 appears that is to be sent to the IRS.  How is a 1040 that is sent to the IRS not filing a tax return?  Also, in the actual registration process, after the home page.......it still asks if I am married.  It then asks you to choose MFS or MFJ.  why does it give the option?  If a MFS is supposed to file as single....why is that option even there?

What is different about the 1040 that is generated to send to the IRS that shows me as filing SINGLE, compared to if I simply sent the IRS a 1040?.......it even says it is filing a simple tax return when you go to submit......this is really unsettling...

@KatrinaB48 

FYI....i did click the "register link".....its just, i thought this would be a simple registration to provide details and direct deposit info.  However at the end, a 1040 is generated....a tax return, no matter how simple.....and that 1040 is sent to the IRS showing my name and SSN filing as single.....its sent to my state as well, its all there to see via the PDF file at the very end.....so it is filing a tax return, and that will not align with my wife's MFS

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Since there is no opportunity to pick married filing separate, you will need to pick single only for the purpose to receive your check.  Your husband will need to do the same since you file separate returns. Since Turbo Tax and IRS mutually agreed upon this procedure, there will be no legal repercussions that you have to be concerned about. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This type of return you filed is a zero return that is only sent to the IRS for the sole purpose of reporting your direct deposit information. It is NOT an official tax return.

@toms3 - i have a suggestion... just don't fill out the TT form..... there are certainly other ways to communicate to the IRS that you are eligible for the stimulus payment.  TT doesn't have a monopoly on submitting eligibility.

this is the FAQ on the IRS website if you are not otherwise required to file: 

The IRS will soon provide guidance for these individuals on the steps to take to get their payment as soon as possible.

So please be patient since the TT website doesn't fit your needs.  If you are looking for a place to further complain, contact the IRS directly - they are the ones making up these rules. 

@DaveF1006 

I followed the advice of all the Tax Professionals here, and submitted my Stimulus Registration as "SINGLE" despite the fact my wife filed this year as Married Filing Separately.

My Stimulus Registration just came back as DENIED with the reason given by the IRS:  "IND-511 For the filing status selected in the return, the primary SSN in the Return Header must not be the same as Spouse SSN on another return with filing status Married Filing Separately".

So basically, all the tax experts on here suggesting a MFS has to file as SINGLE in the Stimulus Registration....THAT IS INCORRECT.  The IRS is denying Stimulus Registrations where someone files as "single" when their spouse filed their taxes as MFS because it is not matching up to what the Spouse submitted.....just an FYI, so people stop giving this advice out to folks trying to register for the Stimulus as MFS, but marking it as Single under the advice given here.

If you are MFS, YOU HAVE TO FILE AN ACTUAL TAX RETURN AS MFS IN ORDER TO GET THE STIMULUS!

Did you figure this out? I’m in the same boat. I am not required to file a tax return. When I try to complete the stimulus only return, it won’t let me file as married filing separately and rejects me if I put single as TurboTax directed me to do since my spouse already filed married filing separately.  I was also told I couldn’t file a regular return because I have no income. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Go here to - Filer: Get Your Payment

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies