Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transferring tax data

Why does Turbotax show last year's Federal Tax Due when I import 2018 data to 2019 Turbotax?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Transferring tax data

Did you e-file your 2018 return?  Or did you print and mail the return?

What I suspect is that you e-filed your return and never returned to the Desktop program to check the status of your e-filed return.  Doing that would officially show your return as "Accepted" and would clear that refund meter.  Did your 2018 information transfer into your 2019 return correctly?

I'll have to ask how to clear that refund meter for 2019.  Let me inquire of my SuperUser peers to see what will do that.  I'll post back when I have an answer, or someone else may respond to you.

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Transferring tax data

Hi, I e-filed in 2018 and I just re-visited the "Accepted" area and worked all the way through to the "Exit Turbotax" button and I started a new 2019 return and transferred 2018 only to still see what I owed last year.  All the other information did transfer correctly.  Thanks for any more info about how to clear the Federal Tax Due/Refund window. Thanks for your help!

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Transferring tax data

@kuckc Just to clarify:  You did file in 2018 using the Desktop version?  (CD/Download)

And you DID go back into your 2018 return and check the status of your e-filed return using the instructions I'm linking below?

How do I check my e-file status? 

If you've gone through those steps, there should be a checkmark on your return when you open TurboTax Desktop program again.

I apologize for the frustration!

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
erluke
Returning Member

Transferring tax data

I did not e-file in 2018, and I never e-file  

I do have several years of turbo tax on my desktop

The only difference this year is that I purchased the CD for turbo tax and my new computer does not have a CD download. So I had to download from the cloud

I did open a new 2019 file but no luck with seeing the 2018 data

Can you help?

I have a support id number and a case number if you need that data.

Eric

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Transferring tax data

@erluke You'll need to transfer your .tax data file for 2018 to your new computer.  Since you already have TurboTax 2019 downloaded and installed to your new device, the instructions I'm linking below should help yo out.  Please post back if you continue to have difficulty.  

How do I move my tax data file to another computer? 

**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

Transferring tax data

Hi, I did go back to my 2018 return and followed through to check the status and I got the green checkmark.  I started a new 2019 return and transferred my 2018 return but it's still showing what I owed for 2018. Thanks for the help! 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Transferring tax data

@kuckc I'm out of ideas.  So sorry.  Maybe someone in TurboTax Customer Support can help.  Please contact Support during business hours using the info I'm linking below.

What is the TurboTax phone number? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies