Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traditional IRA to Roth IRA "backdoor" question

Hi,

I generally do the backdoor Roth IRA.  I usually do the Traditional (non-deductible) and then immediately convert to Roth within a few weeks.  I think in 2018 I forgot to do this, so did 2018 and 2019 amounts both in April of 2019.

So now the 2019 1099-R shows the combined amount, say $12,000.

Although TurboTax indicated "Good news, no taxes owed on this!" (since I checked that the entire amount was rolled over/converted to a Roth IRA), my refund lowered by ~$1,400.

Does this make sense? Did I do something wrong?  Is this because my 2019 contribution was only $6,000 and so somehow I got taxed on the other $6,000?

Any guidance you give me would be great!

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Did you report the 2018 non-deductible contribution on a 2018 8606 form line 1 as part of your 2018 tax return as required?

Did you enter the 2019 non-deductible contribution?

If both were entered properly in the IRA contribution  interview properly for both years and you answered the 1099-R interview question that you had a non-deductible basis and entered the 2018 8606 line 14 amount then you should have a new 8606 form with the 2019 $6,000 on line 1 and the 8018 $6,000 on line 2 with the total on line 3.    

If not, review your entries.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you so much!  I will double check!

The one thing I may not have done as entered that I track the non-deductible basis.... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies