Re: TN visa is Trade visas for Canadians and Mexic...

I have a TN visa status (NAFTA) can i use turbotax?

TN visa is Trade visas for Canadians and Mexicans.  It bears a similarity, in some ways, to the H-1B visa which IRS will count how many days you have stayed in US during the past three years ( 2013-2015)  When did you enter in US with the visa ?  

If you meet the Substantial Presence Test , you will be considered as a resident for tax purposes and allowed to file form 1040.  Therefore, you will be able to use TurboTax program to complete your filing.  

I have been in US during 2015 the months Jan to May then i went out and i came back recently at the beginning of this year, if can not use turbo tax is there other option i can use optional that works with turbo tax?

Were you married to a US resident on December 31, 2015 ?

No i'm single.

K.  So you are considered as a nonresident.  As TurboTax does not support the form 1040NR, you are suggested to use our affiliated partner Sprintax to complete your filing.

Ok thank you

but i could see it is for students?, or also can i apply?

You will need to contact Sprintax for those information.  i know they have the live chat feature which is quite helpful.

Hi I'm from Mexico and I have TN visa, I worked in USA all the year for the same employer and the same salary, I'm married with two child's. The next year I going to  present my tax return. Turbo tax can help me to get the ITIN numbers for my spouse and child's?

TurboTax cannot help you to get ITINs for your family. However, there are other ways to get those numbers.

1. There is an IRS helpline: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin
  2. There are ITIN acceptance agents that can assist you to apply. The IRS aso has a list of these agencies: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program

I have a similar question.  I had a TN Visa and worked in the US July 2017 until May 2019. End of May 2019, I left the US and started a new job in Canada. For the 2019 tax year, would that make be a resident alien (since I pass the substantial presence test) or a dual status alien (because I effectively gave up my residency when I moved back to Canada)?

I never made any US base income after I moved back to Canada. The only income I made was from my wages (W2) and some dividends on stock. How does the residency status affect the tax return? Would I benefit from claiming it one way over another?

Thanks in advance.