turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

This year turbo tax didn’t ask about my healthcare insurance any idea why?

I filed the 16th of January, the letter is dated Feb 11th and I received it on the 19th. If you do get the letter, I would assume it would be quicker than mine since I filed early. Hope that helps! 🙂

Reposting instructions for 8962 letter ...  If the program requests that you upgrade then contact TT and demand a code to negate the cost ... 

If you do get a 12C letter from the IRS asking for your Form 1095A and Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, follow these instructions:
1Sign In to Turbo Tax
2Click Tax Home, in the upper left. Scroll down to Your Returns and Documents
3If you do not see options under that heading, look to the right and click on Show
4Make sure the correct year is underlined in blue
5Select Amend (change) return and then Amend Using Turbo Tax Online
6Do not click continue on the “We’ll help you change (amend) your return” screen. Simply go to the left menu and
7Click on the Federal and then
8Click on Deduction and Credits in the upper portion of the page.
9Scroll down and click on Medical, Show More.
10Choose Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) by clicking on Start or Revisit
11Enter your 1095-A form and generate an 8962 form.
12Click through the ACA section
13Select Tax Tools, on the left menu
14Select the Print Center
15Print, save, or preview this year’s return and click in the box to select federal returns
16Click on View or Print Forms to print the forms you need
17You can view the forms from here and select just to print the pages with
18Form 8962 and Form 1040 (if needed)

Or you can say screw TT and go straight to irs.gov and search for 8962 which easily brings up the form and instructions. Smh. I will NEVER login to TT again after this year. I hope they go belly up after the original class action for free file, and hopefully another class action for the stunt they pulled this year. TT is a crock of s*#*

So i am a filer from TX. I have now faxed the requested forms (1095 a and complete 8962) . the issue i have now is the fear of the  fax not being received properly. I got a confirmation but that doesn't mean that this high volume location received it . The letter states that it does not send you fax confirmation but this leaves the filer in a vulnerable situation , especially if you consider that you have to respond to letter within "20" days  but your processing time of the sent in documents is 6-8 weeks(i read in TT forums that last year you could call in and confirm . i called twice today 2/26/20 and the reps said this is not possible ). some may say if you feel this way you should send certified letter. that option is not fail proof however. i actually had to pay irs a few years ago , so i sent money order certified mail .  months later i got a new tax bill with a couple of penalty's . i then had to set up an appointment with IRS to plead my case in which i had money order stub and certified mail delivery receipt. I won my case but that process put me through unexpected obstacles that i was sure i was safe from.  

Nope! You’ll fax a free form right to the IRS, no formal amend needed.

Mell1214
Returning Member

You will get a letter from the irs

I would try again in a few days or even a week. The lady I spoke with opened my file and could see that they had received my information, I'm assuming they started inputting things into said file and could go based off of that. Good luck!!

Thank you , i will try that 

I don't have the option to amend to get the forms yet.. 

Amending on TurboTax Online is not available for 2019 yet. Check back in late February.

I see ppl posting the instructions, is anyone able to use that function yet?

@jtepetla you don't need to go through TT to get the 8962, just go to irs.gov. use the search bar in the top right corner and enter form 8962. It will bring up a pdf of the form as well as the instructions. Print them out, complete the form, and mail/fax to the IRS. Amending your return will not be sufficient. 

@Critter 

re: You have never had to enter the 1095-B or 1095-C in the program ... you have nothing to enter unless you get a 1095-A from the Marketplace. 

Let me rephrase:  TT is giving me an error saying that my son has a gap in insurance.  He does not.   I'm looking for the place where TT stores that info so that I can change it to tell TT that my son was insured all year.   That used to be easy to find.   HELP!

On a 2019 return a gap in insurance is not an issue on the federal return ... that must be a state issue ... review the state interview since some of them still require health insurance information. 

Negative. I received my state refund and my federal is still processing. All 1095 & 8962 information is being sent to the IRS, not state

I was wondering the same thing.  My wife had a so-called "catastrophic plan" through the Marketplace in 2019.  So I tried to file with a competing product and got stuck at some variation of "Does *spouse* get her insurance through the ACA?" => Yes, because she does => then I had to answer a question about the 1095-A form that I don't have.  It wouldn't let me proceed at all.  We never got a 1095-A in the mail and when I checked her healthcare.gov profile there were no tax forms in the "if you have tax forms, here is where they'll be" area.  

So I called her insurance company and Healthcare.gov's help line and they both confirmed that, no, you don't get a 1095-A if you have a catastrophic plan.  So I tried TurboTax, noticed there were no questions asked about insurance, Googled it, and wound up here.  I did go into the medical section where it asked if we had a 1095-A, chose no (because we never got one), and it just dumped me back out to the menu whereas the other product wouldn't let me proceed.  Based on what I've been told and read, we shouldn't have gotten a 1095-A in the first place and that doesn't apply to us.  But, I'm a huge worry wart about stuff like this, and I'm freaked out about screwing this up and getting a letter from the IRS and having to submit an amended return.  Is anybody else here in the same boat or can confirm what I've been told?

So I am in this horrible situation too thanks to TT.  I called TT yesterday and was told I could fax my 1095a, 8962 and my tax return to 855-xxx-6935 and this would expedite things.  Has anyone else been told this or tried this?  I googled the fax number she gave me and it comes up as an IRS taxpayer EIN request fax # for small businesses???  I don't know if I should try this or wait for my inevitable letter from the IRS.  SO upset!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies