Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

This year turbo tax didn’t ask about my healthcare insurance any idea why?

I didn't mind answering a lot of "NO" to questions, it assured me that I have done my part. Been with TurboTax for few years but this is the last.

That is my exact situation . I even proactively paid off my credit card out of my savings with the expectation that my refund was right around the corner. To some this may have been a risky / dumb move but in my 15 years of filing I’ve never had a rejected return and or a return under review . And the tax calendar prediction has always been accurate . My biggest fear now is that I send these documents in and something else is wrong which will add even more time . I pray everyone in a similar situation are prepared to weather  this storm .

Not that I am agreeing to what they did by removing the Health Insurance tab but sadly thousands didn't complete that section correctly even when it was in the program ... many people got the IRS letter for the missing 8962 & 1095-A forms in the past years as well.   What I think is that the IRS really needs to reject the returns missing that form so you have to fix it before you file ... they did this ( and still do) for the Form 5405 First time home buyer credit ... they should do so for this situation as well ... then people could fix the return and resubmit it. 

AND when the Market place sends the 1095-A in the mail they give you explicit instructions on what you need to do and that you need to also file the 8962.  Sadly I must insist that the taxpayer must take some responsibility for their failure to enter the form as directed to produce the 8962 as required.  

And I do not work or advocate for TT ... I am simply pointing out the facts. 

I called the IRS and I had to complete the 8962 form and print off my 1095-A, then fax it to the IRS. I was told it will take up to another 8-weeks to receive my refund. I'm so disappointed in TurboTax, it never asked about health insurance. 

Complete the form now and fax it to the IRS, I had to do mine today. Fax# [phone number removed]. 

You dont have to wait for the letter, get the form from the IRS website and print your 1095-A. Fax it in to the IRS. It will still take them up to 8-weeks to processes, maybe longer cause so many ppl where affected by this error. 

You need to wait for the IRS letter for the fax number to the office that has your return on hold ... faxing it to the wrong number can delay things even further since there are MANY IRS  offices across the US  that deal with this situation.

You CAN complete the form 8962 now and fax both forms as soon as you get the letter.  

Hey Critter you idea about starting a state return did not work.  I am in a state that doesn't have a state income tax so I tried in another state and clicked on search I kept getting a page saying  "We're here to help you with your IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax  Call us at: [phone number removed]".  I went through a couple pages and kept getting that. 

I did not say to START A STATE ... I said to click on ADD A STATE just to OPEN the account if it was closed.

Delete unneeded unwanted states and then go to the 1095-A entry screen you need. 

I just got done wasting my time re-opening my account as per the instructions from the "experts" that have been posting here to put in the info from my 1095a.  They buried it good.  After completing I got a nice message that said I was due an even bigger refund.  Then I got a message that said it can't be claimed in the free edition and I had to pay $39 for the deluxe edition.  I got no forms to print, nothing to save, no 8962.  It was free to file last year, but apparently the high cost of electron flow through their servers has made it unprofitable for them to do it again this year.

If you filed a free return and want to keep it that way, don't waste your time with turbotax any more.  You'll have to fill out your 8962 manually and fax or mail it yourself.  Turns out it is just a ruse for intuit to gouge money out of people after all.  You'd think they might be a bit remorseful and generous this year since they screwed up...but wait...they didn't screw up, it's our fault.  

Well, I for one am not giving intuit a plug nickel, because as I see it the whole darn company isn't worth more than that.

I was able to start over on my Federal while messing with my state, which I do not need, and it is there now under  Deductions and Credits and then there is a section "Medical" with a section that says Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-).  This was not there when I did my return so they fixed their mistake and pretend it has always been there.  I am not surprised.

So, Dean, as a "tax expert" do you feel that turbo tax software shouldn't need to prompt novice users of something like the necessity of filing a 1095A? I mean, my understanding was that as a "non-tax expert" I could use this software to prepare an file my taxes without being blindsided by something like this. I've used turbo tax to do my taxes for decades. Guess who I WON'T  be using for my 2020 taxes. Also I've referred many to your software, but I will now be 10 times as outspoken against turbo tax in the future. I can't believe your answer is. "Oh no... you have to figure out on your own what forms need to be filed. You can't expect turbo tax to prompt you for that!"

CSmith14

Same here! I knew it didn't ask me, but now the IRS just sent me a letter saying they need it! I'm so mad right now! TurboTax really disappointed me this year!

FYI  ... the 1095-A section has been there since the first day the online program went live in Dec 2019 ... and I know this because I went looking for it when I say the Health Insurance tab was missing. 

And one more tidbit ... have any of you ever looked into any of the IRS FREE FILE options ?   If your AGI was $69K or less in 2019 there is a FREE FILE program partner for you to pick from ...

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies