Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Lovenow

Reject code ind 517

I USED "Lovenow!" as my user name!!!!  Now you say it is invalid!!!!!  AND THE CODE I FINALLY RECEIVED WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS TIME HAD RUN OUT!!!!!   PATRICIA COOMER

Lovenow

Reject code ind 517

I USED "lovenow!" as my username.  Now you say it is invalid!!!  By the time THE CODE was received, it was NOT VALID!!!!!!!

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Reject code ind 517

If you need to recover your TurboTax account, please see Account Recovery Request for your TurboTax Account.

@Lovenow

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Reject code ind 517

Continue to receive rejection code IND-517-01.  I have confirmed this dependent has not submitted a tax return.  How can you fix this reject code?

Reject code ind 517

It has been confirmed that the dependent DID NOT submit.  Now I am being penalized for being able to submit electronically paying for both Federal and state electronic filing.  SUCH A PAIN!  Now I have to research if my dependent has been fraudulently been invaded their information.  UGH!

Reject code ind 517

I feel your pain.  I am having the same issue.

Reject code ind 517

My son didn't even file either and I am getting the same reject code.  No detail, and NO HELP!

Reject code ind 517

I want be using Turbo Tax next year!  That's FOR SURE!  This is ridiculous!  I will be paying someone instead!

BenPh

Reject code ind 517

I got that rejection code IND-517 and it was for the exact reason given, i.e. my daughter had filed her return before me and forgot to check the box saying she is a dependent on someone else's return.  To fix the issue she submitted an amended return using TurboTax, however when I try to submit my own return I still get the same issue.

Does anyone know how long it will take for the IRS to process her amended return, allowing me to submit my return? Will this extend past the filing deadline, meaning I should just submit a paper return instead of electronically?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Reject code ind 517

Yes, In order to fix this, you would have to print, sign & mail your tax return.  The person who erroneously claimed the exemption should amend their return. 

This rejection code IND-517 from the IRS happens when your dependent's social security number has been claimed on another return. Often this happens when a dependent files their own return and does not indicate that someone else can claim them as a dependent.

@BenPh 

Reject code ind 517

My daughter is a full-time college student and CA resident working part-time and going to college in Idaho.  When our daughter submitted her tax return via e-file she DID check the box on her tax return saying that she she CAN and WILL be "Claimed as a dependent by someone else". However, even though she marked the correct boxes, both her return and my return were rejected via e-file.

Is the only option to print and file both her taxes and my taxes by mail?  If so, has anyone gone through this process and do you know whether the IRS will accept both our paper returns if she has the correct boxes checked saying that she she CAN and WILL be "Claimed as a dependent by someone else" or will the IRS still try to reject one of them?

Given that my daughter is only receiving a very small refund, I do not want to remove her as a dependent from my return. Any guidance is appreciated, especially if anyone has filed the paper returns with the situation above. Thank you.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Reject code ind 517

Yes, the only option is to print and mail your tax return if you want to keep your daughter on as a dependent. 

As long as you sign your tax return before you mail it, it will be accepted by the IRS. 

There is no error check or rejection process for paper returns. If the IRS thinks you made a mistake on your paper return you will get a letter from them, but this is not a rejection. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies