Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband received a 1099-MISC for 133.00 for assisting with some Educational Testing. Do we have to enter this amount as income? He was told you don't if under 250.00

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

My husband received a 1099-MISC for 133.00 for assisting with some Educational Testing. Do we have to enter this amount as income? He was told you don't if under 250.00

Yes, unless the income is considered a gift, you need to report all income that is subject to US taxation on your tax return. The $600 limit is an IRS requirement for Form 1099-MISC to be file by the payer. 

[Edited 03/10/2020 | 8:13 am PDT]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Yes, unless the income is considered a gift, you need to report all income that is subject to US taxation on your tax return. The $600 limit is an IRS requirement for Form 1099-MISC to be file by the payer. 

[Edited 03/10/2020 | 8:13 am PDT]

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome

Where do I enter the income on the 1099-misc I did not receive?  Is it box 3 or 7? 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

It depends on why you were paid the money.

If the payment was for work you did for someone, it is 1099-MISC box 7 nonemployee compensation which is reported as self-employment income on Schedule C.

If the payment was for something else, like a prize or award, jury duty, taxable lawsuit settlement, dealership incentives, etc. it is 1099-MISC box 3 Other Income.  Enter box 3 amounts at the Federal>>Income>>Other Common Income>>Form 1099-MISC.

@ccchfields

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies