Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elle2007

Tax returns calculated by software incorrectly, how does this get addressed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Please be more specific.  TurboTax does an excellent job of calculating your data, but you have to enter it correctly and in the right place.   What was not calculated correctly?  No one else can see your tax return or access your account.  Are you referring to a 2018 return or an earlier year?  Did you receive a letter from the IRS or your state?  What does it say?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Whatever the cause of your incorrect return, the remedy is simply to file an amended return and correct the errors.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
trhaist

File an amended return. 

tonbel

My 2019 return says I owe more than my actual tax due, because it calculated my tax due in 4 separate payments instead of 1 payment, so I am being asked to pay interest penalty. I did not check the box to pay in installments. I have not filed the return and want to change it but I am told that because I have already registered it, the return cannot be changed.

@tonbel Take a closer look at those 1040ES vouchers.  Those are not for installment payments for your 2019 tax due.  Those are optional vouchers to send in with estimated quarterly payments for 2020 tax.  There was not a box to check to pay 2019 tax in installments.   Your 2019 tax due must be paid in full by April 15, 2020.  You should be seeing a 1040V voucher to send in with a check or money order---the amount on the 1040V should be the same as the amount you see on line 23 of your Form 1040.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hibdont

The state tax witholding from my husband's W2 was deducted twice on my OR40 line 30

MayaD
Expert Alumni

OR-40 Line 30 shows the taxes withheld from the W-2 and 1099 forms. If the amount is incorrect try deleting OR return and add it again. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies