Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Filing

How to file taxes as a self employed independent contractor? What forms are required? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Tax Filing

Great question!!

When you are sole proprietor, you will claim the income and expenses on your Form 1040 using Schedule C.

You will enter your income and expenses in the Wages and Income section under self employment.

Here are a few of my favorite links that discuss self employment.

Self employment tax  Talks about social security and Medicare taxes

Self employment tax hub with calculator  Helps to answer questions and figure out if you need to pay estimated taxes

Self Employment income and expenses  Talks about income and expenses.

The most important part is making sure that you add all of your expenses because Self Employment taxes (social security and medicare) are taxed on the net income.  Since you will most likely not have someone sending in Federal and/or State taxes from a W2 job, you will need to send in estimated taxes.  The first year you might want to estimate those amounts by using the link above.  In the coming years, you will look at your PDF copy of your return and estimated tax vouchers for Federal and State will be included.  If you make less or more in the following year, you might want to adjust the amounts on the voucher.  Payments can be made online by going to IRS.GOV and your respective state if they have state taxes.

Please give me a thumbs up if this was helpful.

Katie S.

Katherine S 63

Tax Filing

Yes, it was helpful. Would I be considered a sole proprietor if I’m an independent contractor? 

KNDavis
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Filing

Yes, sole proprietor is another term for independent contractor.  It indicates that you are the only owner of your business and your business is not a partnership or a corporation.  You report the gross receipts and deductions for your business on Schedule C on your individual income tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies