Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Bracket vs Effective Tax Rate

Tax Bracket and effective Tax rates are 2 different thing and I understand difference.

Due to long term gain  one is pushed into higher tax brackets than tax rate and difference can be more than 10%.

Q: Let say my tax bracket is higher than effective tax rate, for bond investment whether which bond investment make sense taxable bond or muni bonds, which number to use?

Usually in many online calculators ask your tax bracket to find out tax equivalent yield of muni bond but is it reliable measure if you higher tax bracket is coming via long term gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, your tax bracket is a more accurate way to predict the tax impact of additional taxable income such as taxable bond interest. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

A reliable online tax calculator would require information on capital gains vs regular income in order to calculate your actual tax bill accurately.  

As far as bond investment I don't understand the question.  Which bond do you have?  That's the one you put into the calculator.  And tax free municipal bonds aren't included in your AGI so they won't move the needle.

@sam992116 

Lets assume my Tax Bracket is 30% but my tax rate is 22%

When ever you buy muni bond there is yield. Lets say Muni Bond has Yield of 4% but what is tax equivalent yield and that most online calculator use your tax bracket.

Lets say your tax bracket is 30%. Tax equivalent yield will be = yield/1 -0.3 = 4 /.7 = 5.71%

But  if I use Tax rate. It is 4 / 1 - 0.22 = 5.12%

But lets say I have found similar credit rating taxable bond with yield of 7 % and even though I have to pay tax on that one. After paying tax I will be still ahead of muni bonds.

That was my question is it Tax bracket which lets say is 30% but my tax rate is 22% (due to quite bit of long term capital gains).

Q: What is better way to judge which is better choice to taxable or tax free bonds? Tax bracket or Tax Rate

@RobertB4444 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, your tax bracket is a more accurate way to predict the tax impact of additional taxable income such as taxable bond interest. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies