Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stolen Business Vehicle

I had a 90% business use vehicle stolen. Insurance paid the market value of $18,000 which more than paid off the loan. Although it was not actually sold, do I use this as the sales price?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Stolen Business Vehicle

Yes!  Exactly.  Record the full amount of the Insurance Proceeds and dispose of the vehicle.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Stolen Business Vehicle

Yes!  Exactly.  Record the full amount of the Insurance Proceeds and dispose of the vehicle.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stolen Business Vehicle

I also had my business vehicle stolen (in 12/2021). The vehicle was placed in service in 12/2013, and I believe I have fully depreciated its value. There was no insurance payout on the vehicle, however the vehicle is estimated to be worth $1500. Would this be reported as a loss? If so, how would I do this? Please advise.

Stolen Business Vehicle

If you claimed depreciation on any of the property in previous years, you can only count your adjusted basis in the property as its value. since it's fully depreciated there is nothing to claim.

Carl
Level 15

Stolen Business Vehicle

Although it was not actually sold,

In a sense, it was sold..... to the insurance company. It can be reported as such too, keeping in mind any depreciation recapture.

@larry510 

I believe I have fully depreciated its value. There was no insurance payout on the vehicle, however the vehicle is estimated to be worth $1500.

If it's fully depreciated, you have nothing to claim at all. Claiming a $1500 loss would be double-dipping. Simply work through the vehicle and the easiest thing to do is to indicate you gave it away. That way, there's no depreciation recapture.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies