Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Standard deduction with home office

I meet all the criteria listed for a Home Office Deduction, but I'm being told I don't qualify. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

@LafayetteGirl are you self-employed in this manufacturing business, or are you a W-2 employee? 

If you are an employee, then the new tax reform laws suspended most of the deductions for unreimbursed employee expenses, includi...

If you are self-employed, does the gross income from the business use of your home equal or exceed your total business expense...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You don't specify whether the home office is in regards to being an employee, or your own business filing say a Sch C or Sch F.

For most people, the home office deduction was a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to 2% of AGI.  For 2018, those deductions went away.  See the following link for instructions for Sch A.

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf

If this is in regards to a business home office, such as a Sch C; here is a link to business deductions

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-schedule-c-form-1040

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

At least 75% of my basement is used as a studio/office where I manufacture a product that I sell online. Lost as to why that doesn't qualify.

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

@LafayetteGirl are you self-employed in this manufacturing business, or are you a W-2 employee? 

If you are an employee, then the new tax reform laws suspended most of the deductions for unreimbursed employee expenses, includi...

If you are self-employed, does the gross income from the business use of your home equal or exceed your total business expense...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies