Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

South Carolina, Schedule NR: spouse was part-time resident, I never was. TurboTax won't let me leave my dates of residency blank.

Background:

• I have always been a resident of Virginia.
  • My spouse lived in SC for less than 2 months.
  • We filed a joint federal return.
  • Within EasyStep, I selected "Nonresident OR part-year resident filing as nonresident"
  • I specified that I did not live in SC and that my spouse did.
  • I entered my spouse's dates of residency
  • When I checked for errors, it said that my dates of residency can't be blank

I went to forms view to look at SC Schedule NR 2023 and am finding that my dates of residency match my spouse's. I tried to erase the dates and I've tried writing "00/00/0000" and "N/A" but nothing is working. 

The good thing is that we're correctly reporting my spouse's income from SC and saying that I had no SC income. Even though I'm not seeing a difference in the outcome, I'm bothered by these dates being incorrect for me. Does it even matter?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

South Carolina, Schedule NR: spouse was part-time resident, I never was. TurboTax won't let me leave my dates of residency blank.

In your case, no it doesn't matter.  The only way to remove a dates entry for you would be to file your husband's South Carolina return using the Married Filing Separate status (in the state only).  However, if the income reported is apportioned correctly with none of yours showing taxable in South Carolina you will not have any difficulties around the residency dates.  

You could also enter a date range that leaves you with just one day in the state if that makes you feel a little better. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

In your case, no it doesn't matter.  The only way to remove a dates entry for you would be to file your husband's South Carolina return using the Married Filing Separate status (in the state only).  However, if the income reported is apportioned correctly with none of yours showing taxable in South Carolina you will not have any difficulties around the residency dates.  

You could also enter a date range that leaves you with just one day in the state if that makes you feel a little better. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies