turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should crypto income with form 1099-MISC go into Schedule B or not? Turbo tax doesn't know how to handle this income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Should crypto income with form 1099-MISC go into Schedule B or not? Turbo tax doesn't know how to handle this income

You have the option of contacting the payer and seeing if they will re-issue this on a 1099-INT. However, they probably will not. Considering the nature of the crypto space, you're lucky you received a tax form, period. Sounds like staking income, but without details, I can't be sure of the specifics.

Absent a 1099-INT, I strongly recommend going with self-employment income on this. The upside to this is that you can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses against this income. In your case, maybe you had a TradingView or other technical analysis software membership that you relied on when researching this asset. Maybe there were fees from the exchange on which this income was earned. Maybe you had a membership to a trading group. All these are common expenses in the crypto space. If so, you can deduct these against this income if you report it as self-employment. 

@RandomDude34345

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Thanks for your reply. I did that but it still put it as self-employment income and added 15.3% Self-employment tax.

Thanks.

Mining may be considered a trade or business, because it obviously involves some work and expenses and equipment, but not staking, which is just passive income, like earning interest at a bank.

Staking was not addressed anywhere in that link you sent me. 

Given that all of your experts are giving me mixed signals in this thread, I do not think this issue is settled.

I will research it further with the IRS and see if other tax software does the same as TurboTax. I'm going to put it in as Prize Winnings and may just have to have a Chat with the IRS if necessary. 

Most folks who stake do not receive a 1099-MISC, and not just because they earned less than $600. That's millions or maybe tens of millions of dollars being filed as ordinary income, not self-employment income with the added 15.3% self-employment tax.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes.  You can report this as other income entering the Form 1099-MISC.  This will record the income on Line 8z, Schedule 1. There is also an alternative method if you want to delete your Form 1099-MISC.

You should select it was not your main job and there was no intent to earn money. This income will show up on Schedule 1, Line 8z.

You can view your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return. (TurboTax Online)
  2. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • View only your 1040 form: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.
  3. TurboTax CD/Desktop - Select Forms (upper right) > Scroll to Schedule 1 (left) > View line 8z

Please follow the instructions below to report Other Income (Without 1099-MISC):

1. Click Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income and scroll down to Less Common Income
  2. Go to the last selection, Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  3. Go to the last option, Other reportable income and click Start
  4. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" > yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return.
  5. TurboTax Online and TurboTax CD/Download will use the same procedure
    1. How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?
    2. How do I edit or delete a 1099-MISC?

@RandomDude34345

35 Replies

just to clarify TurboTax treated this income as self employed and calculated self employed tax on top of income tax. In reality it's just an interest income paid in crypto that is considered a property and therefore is given MISC form instead of INT form. Can I just put this income to schedule B with all other INT forms? 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Crypto income reported in Box 7 1099-Misc is business income and is entered on Schedule C. You can't take amounts on 1099-Misc and call them income from 1099-B.

Q-13: Is a person who in the course of a trade or business makes a payment using virtual currency worth $600 or more to an independent contractor for performing services required to file an information return with the IRS? A-13: Generally, a person who in the course of a trade or business makes a payment of $600 or more in a taxable year to an independent contractor for the performance of services is required to report that payment to the IRS and to the payee on Form 1099- MISC, Miscellaneous Income.

IRS Notice 2014-21

Thank you for your answer. Would the reply change though if I have income reported in the Box 3 "Other income". Again the nature of the income is just at interest earned on deposit made and not any work performed like mining or anything like that. 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

You have the option of contacting the payer and seeing if they will re-issue this on a 1099-INT. However, they probably will not. Considering the nature of the crypto space, you're lucky you received a tax form, period. Sounds like staking income, but without details, I can't be sure of the specifics.

Absent a 1099-INT, I strongly recommend going with self-employment income on this. The upside to this is that you can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses against this income. In your case, maybe you had a TradingView or other technical analysis software membership that you relied on when researching this asset. Maybe there were fees from the exchange on which this income was earned. Maybe you had a membership to a trading group. All these are common expenses in the crypto space. If so, you can deduct these against this income if you report it as self-employment. 

@RandomDude34345

This is great and makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your response. 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Glad I could help!

@RandomDude34345

I have this same problem. I have income from staking crypto on a 1099-MISC with the amount in Box 3. I do not want to and should not have to pay 15.3% Self-Employment tax on top of ordinary income tax! This is NOT self-employment and I do not have any expenses to deduct.

Turbo should provide a checkbox exemption for crypto staking like they do for prize winnings and lawsuit awards, etc.

I'll see if the Exchange will reissue me a 1099-INT, but otherwise I will just report it as Miscellaneous Income like my other staking income for which I was not given a 1099 even though it was well over $600.

I realize the IRS may come knocking about the 1099-MISC form that they received and I didn't file. There's just no way this is self-employment. That would be like interest from my bank being self-employment and subject to self-employment tax.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Please follow these steps to report 1099-Misc as other income:

1. Open or continue with your return
  2. Click on Show more next to Other Common Income under Income & Expenses section
  3. Click on Start next to Form 1099-MISC
  4. Select Yes to the question Did you get a 1099-MISC?
  5. On the next screen, enter the information on the 1099-MISC form you received. The amount should be reported in Box 3 as Other income 
  6. Answer the questions on the screens that follow. When you get to the screen that says Did the xxx involve an intent to earn money? Select No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money.
  7. Continue, then Done.

@widestrides

On the 1099-MISC instructions for reporting the amount in Box 3:

Box 3. Generally, report this amount on the “Other income” line of Schedule 1 (Form 1040) and identify the payment. The amount shown may be payments received as the beneficiary of a deceased employee, prizes, awards, taxable damages, Indian gaming profits, or other taxable income. See Pub. 525. If it is trade or business income, report this amount on Schedule C or F (Form 1040).

Thanks for your reply. I did that but it still put it as self-employment income and added 15.3% Self-employment tax.

There was no question about intent to earn money. (And I did intend to earn money as it was an Interest program.)

There was:

"I didn't actively participate in the operation of this business." 

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Did you try to enter the 1099-Misc through Other Common Income section instead of Self-Employment section? You can enter the 1099-Misc form in both sections, but one will take you to the self-employment taxes and the other lets you report it as other income.

Yes, I did, but it still puts it into Self-Employment, even if entered in the Other Common Income, Form 1099-MISC section.

If I call it Prize Winnings or Awards, it doesn't go as Self Employment. That's the only way to get TurboTax to get it right for me. These are called Staking "Rewards," so it sort of fits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies