Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Schwab 1099 - can't Import - login fails "Login Temp Unavail, Try Later"

This seems to be somewhat sporadic, although it fails way more often than it succeeds.  

I have 3 tax returns I do with accounts for all 3 at Schwab.  After many fails yesterday, I was able to import for the return I was working on. Then this morning I had many fails for the next return, and just got a success. 

same issue. Frustrating this is happening between two institutions of the caliber of Schwab and TurboTax/Intuit. You'd think it's one of the top 5 combinations to ensure they work, going into tax season. Yet...

Pedr0,

Can you please tell us which operating system you're using...and any other information that might be useful such as what programs you had running in the background when you finally achieved success logging on to Schwab through TurboTax to receive your 1099 tax data?

Thank you.

I have far greater confidence in Schwab customer service than Intuit--based on years of experience

If Schwab says Intuit is a problem--I believe them

Saturday, 19 February 1:51 PM CST

I just achieved SUCCESS logging on to Schwab through TurboTax and successfully downloaded my Schwab 1099 tax data on to TurboTax.  I used PedrO's method above by REPEATEDLY, RELENTLESSLY AND IN RAPID SUCCESSION re-trying to logon.  Finally...after failing to LOGON to Schwab through TurboTax about FIFTEEN TIMES IN A ROW..I was finally able to LOGON on my SIXTEENTH ATTEMPT with no issues.  So this sounds like it's probably an "overloaded server" issue at Schwab.  

So...my advice is to just keep attempting the LOGON using the Schwab LOGON window that pops up in TurboTax...over and over again...in rapid succession...until you finally get logged on.  Once you do LOGON,  getting your Schwab 1099 tax data is painless.  It works like a charm.

DO NOT GIVE UP...just keep re-trying the Schwab LOGON in rapid succession in the Schwab window in TurboTax!!!  Eventually you'll get on like I did.  GOOD LUCK to all!

RLB
Returning Member

Having same issue - have tried to import for 2 days with no joy.  How come Schwab points at Turbotax and Turbotax points at Schwab - can't someone take ownership and correct this major disaster!!!  Sure not going to purchase TT next year if this is not fixed PRONTO!

I took PedrO's advice too and just kept re-trying and was able to download my info into TurboTax on the 4th try. This is beginning to sound like an overloaded server issue.

I've tried at least 100 times already. For those of you who were eventually successful, did you just stay on the same login screen and keep trying, or did you back out and start over each time?

cjl254

I was able to successfully import from Schwab this morning, might want to try again.

I tried about 40 times, took a break then was able to connect.  There were some terms acceptance screens from Schwab. I agreed and TurboTax started to import (it seemed) then reported a failure. I had to keep trying another 40 times and gave up.

Following acceptance of the Schwab terms I got an email from Schwab which says in part:

You have authorized a third party to access your Schwab financial account data. If you did not authorize a third party to access your Schwab financial account data, please call us immediately at one of the numbers below to report suspected unauthorized activity.

Please log into Schwab's online Security Center to review your third-party access preferences. You can make updates and changes to your preferences at any time. To view the Third-Party Data Access Terms of Use, visit http://www.schwab.com/thirdpartyterms.

I suggest you might want to look at this page first to see if you can 'pre-approve' access to TurboTax.

Actually logging on from within the TurboTax app still seems to be a problem, however.

I got the same problem. After reading the comments here and flip back and forth a few time in Schwab on the security setting (two-factor auth and third-party trust), didn't help either. 

I started a fake TurboTax online, it can import from schwab without any issue. The one I am having issue is TurboTax desktop on Mac. 

dav2727

SOLVED FOR ME

Open seprate brower.  Login to schwab.com as you.  Go to your profile, secuirty settings.  At bottom DISABLE third party access.  Save your profile.

Now that it is disabled, go back to turbo tax and import from schwab.  Enter your login & password.  Schwab within turbotax will walk you thru agreements enablabling it again one time for turbo tax import.  Then the import will work - or at least worked for me.

11Bravo

Had same problem, this is getting a lot of play because the 1099 forms just came out  Feb. 18th.  My suggestion,

print the forms immediately, there are basically only 3 types of 1099 forms needed.  Mine were pretty simple. Update your turbo tax, just use the line numbers that match on the Schwab 1099's, only takes a minute and your done.  Download never has worked for me.

Same. I am using premier desktop.

exactly--it's about as easy as the download--very straight forward.  The Schwab 1099 gives full instruction--and Turbo Tax walks you through things clearly

basically--you just enter the summary numbers--short term gains--proceeds and cost totals --then long term

You do not need to enter every transaction--the software give you a choice to enter the summary numbers off the 1099--or individual transactions--your choice.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies