Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

boilermaker75
Returning Member

Schwab 1099 - can't Import - login fails "Login Temp Unavail, Try Later"

Thanks, I didn't know only the summary info haas to be inputted. That helps.

Still you would think that turbotax would be on the same page with these brokers. I have been using turbo tax for > 10 years but this will be my last year.

mcq2
Level 1

Same issue yesterday and today.

Schwab also told me they are working the issue.  I'll give them until next weekend to resolve.

A reply from Intuit (beyond this is the first we've heard about it) would greatly be appreciated.  I would think that if they no longer support Schwab, then  when I search for Schwab they would not come up as a potential financial institution.  Furthermore, Turbotax does launch the Schwab login window.

Read my previous posts...Schwab told me that they had given up trying to work with Turbo Tax due to lack of cooperation and then Turbo Tax told me they had no knowledge of this issue

Anyway--all one needs to do is input the summary information--which is acceptable and not too hard to do

I have alot of trades/transactions--but Turbo Tax does provide the option to enter just the summary data (eg short term proceeds and cost totals) versus each transaction/trade

Schwab provides for downloading the 1099 composite data in CSV and XML formats. It would be interesting to know if TurboTax can import either such file format. Users could potentially download the data themselves in the proper format and have TurboTax import it on their own computer.

How can Intuit stiff arm Schwab?   Come on man!

boilermaker75
Returning Member

I believe it has to be in .txf format to import. I used to have to do that with Interactive Brokers. Today I had no trouble importing directly from Interactive Brokers to Turbotax.

Here is hoping Turbotax and Schwab get on the same page and fix this,

Make sure you quit turbotax and start fresh

Same issue here for last couple days since Schwab released the 1099s.  Very annoying.  

As of January 2022, Schwab was showing TurboTax available for downloads of their 1099 data (last updated page). Take a look at https://client.schwab.com/secured/taxes/download-1099. You will need to log in to your Schwab account on arrival at this page. The link back to TurboTax takes you to their website, not to your installed app.

Just got a call from Intuit (TurboTax) senior tech who says this is known problem with some institutions including Schwab. She said 1009 imports will not be able to be imported until 1st week in March, which is confusing in that I was successful in importing from one other institution.

My assessment is the extra security measure (encrypted download) for 2021 tax year is the issue. Not sure if this is an Institution (e.g., Schwab) issue or a TurboTax issue or a hand-shaking protocol issue between the them.

Obviously, this is a big frustration...and I am not so certain it will get resolved by early March...but "Hope springs eternal". It seems we have no choice, but to wait and see...ugghhh!!...or do manual summary inputs w/o transactions details.

I just did some searching to see if HR Block software was importing okay from Schwab and see that it is also having problems. This suggests the problem is with Schwab and not Intuit. 

Is there any downside to just inputting the summary numbers ?  Turbo Tax does offer that as an option (versus downloading from Schwab or from whomever).  The Schwab 1099 (the portion they call out as "reported to the IRS)  has clear details on where to enter what--as does the Turbo tax software.  I just did that and it went quickly and smoothly

Same issue after several attempts on 2/19. Importing from Vanguard works though that import did not appear to go through TurboTax's separate pop-up log-in window. Vanguard worked directly from within the TurboTax software.

TurboTax had better work this issue out with Schwab (whoever is at fault) as lacking this ability would leave me with no good reason to continue using TurboTax.

I'm having the same problem importing my Schwab 1099 tax data through TurboTax.  I first attempted the import yesterday afternoon, 18 February.  After repeated failures I contacted Schwab mid-afternoon yesterday, 18 February.  The person I spoke with told me this was a KNOWN PROBLEM they were actively attempting to correct.  I was placed on hold while the Schwab rep contacted the Schwab IT department to get an update on the fix.  After about five minutes on hold the agent got back on the line and said they hoped to have it resolved by late yesterday.  At NO TIME during my conversation with the Schwab rep was I given the impression Schwab would suddenly and inexplicably no longer support their TurboTax interface.  That makes NO sense whatsoever.   Again, I was told they're fully aware of the problem and are actively attempting to fix it.  I'm still unable to import the Schwab data today, 19 February.

I have the same problem "Login is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later or call customer support.".

Please someone help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies