`

Reporting covered call option transactions

How are sales proceeds and cost basis entered since both are negative dollar amounts (TT doesn't allow for a negative cost basis to be enterered? 

Option write, expires:
Since you are short,
The acquired date is the date you closed the short sale or it expired.
 Date Disposed is one business day after Date Acquired (options settle in one day)

--

IRS says: Enter "Expired" in 8949 column e) cost, but Turbo Tax won't let you do that directly so you have to go through the "Add More Details" screen and select "Expired". Last I tried, this had no effect either.

I add "Expired" in the description.
Your gain is the amount you received and it is a Short Term Capital Gain. Always.

If you are a covered short or not it doesn't matter.

The sales proceeds is actually the selling price for the Call option (should be a positive number).

The cost basis is the original purchase price upon acquisition. 

My broker (eTrade) sent me a 1099 with net trade amount as proceeds for options trades.  This is how they said the IRS wanted it reported. it was a change this year.  TurboTax will not allow entry of a negative proceeds.  Will TurboTax be fixing or do I enter buys and sells, but if I do that, is there an audit risk since it does not match the 1099.

As long as the net from your buy and sell entry equals the net on the 1099 all will be good.  

I sold the call  it expired

To report an expired covered call transaction, enter the money received under Sales. Your Cost will be zero. And it is most likely a short-term transaction (less than one year between the sale and the expiration dates).

Option write, expires:
Since you are short,

--

I add "Expired" in the description.

Thanks - that's how I wound up handling the items.