Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Repayment of signing bonus in subsequent year

Hello @Opus 17 :

Could you please help? I responded to your reply. I appreciate your feedback sir. Thanks.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

If you reported this income in prior years, you can claim repayments of over $3,000 on your tax return. You can deduct this kind of repayment under Internal Revenue Code section 1341 as a 'Claim of Right'. 

Deducting a repayment is covered in IRS publication 525 on page 34.  

If the amount you repaid was more than $3,000, you can deduct the repayment as an 'other itemized deduction' on Schedule A (Form 1040), line 16. You can also choose to take a tax credit for the year of repayment. Figure your tax under both methods and compare the results. Use the method (deduction or credit) that results in less tax.

The way to figure these amounts is shown in Publication 525.

To claim the credit you will need to use a TurboTax desktop edition, so you can enter it in 'Forms Mode'.

In the Forms mode, click on Schedule 3 line 12, and it will take you to the  'Other credits and payments smart worksheet'.  Here is where you enter your 'Claim of Right, IRC 1341 credit for repayments of prior year income'.

You do want to explain in part III why you are adjusting your income.

You do not need to attach any other forms.

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software?

@ahmed041

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ahmed041 wrote:

Hi @Opus 17 : Thanks a lot for responding to my question/concern. 

Paragraph 1:

1. The HR didn't adjust wages. HR confirmed that and I am  also confirming you after taking a look at my 2018 W2.

Paragraph-4

2. I paid 5K after tax (from my last two pay stubs) money.

The HR basically didn't do anything. The HR in fact didn't file 941-X. 

I would appreciate your feedback on how to amend the 2018 tax? After reading Pub 525, I verified the calculation and deduction is better for me. My questions are:

1. In form 1040-X, do I need to put $5K in column B for the income and deduction item 1?

2. Do I need to explain in Part III Why am I adjusting the AGI?

3. Provide supporting document (email from HR, I pasted in my earlier post and last two pay stubs showing deduction)

4. Do I need to attach or complete any other forms with this amendment?

5. Since the company didn't file 941-X, can I do anything to get back the tax I paid? any form to attach?

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your time.

Best Regards.

An amended tax return is a complete copy of your tax return with all forms and schedules, that contains the corrected information, PLUS a form 1040-X which is a cover page that summarizes the changes.  You never submit the 1040-X alone.

If you used Turbotax in 2018, you would get the 2018 software and run the amending process, it will generate the tax return plus the 1040-X cover page.  If you are doing it on your own, you will need to prepare a correct 2018 return, then do a side by side comparison with your original 2018 return so you can fill out the 1040-X summarizing the changes.

You do need to include a brief explanation on the 1040-X of why you are making the change, you don't send in any other documents unless the IRS sends a followup letter asking for proof.  

I have seen a couple of other people talk about having their accountant file a form with the social security administration to get back the social security and Medicare tax on the repayment, but it's not a normal income tax form and I don't know any details. 

@Opus 17 @RobertG 

Hi: I used turbotax to file 2018 tax and I took standard deductions. No schedules. I have the copy of the 2018 tax forms. I used original forms to prepare the 1040-X. I used pub 525 method 1 and 2 to determine the best option and I found deduction would be the best for my case. When I filled out the 1040-X, i used $5K in column B. and corrected AGI in column C and filed rest of the form as suggested. My plan is to explain why am I making making this correction in PART III of the 1040-X form. Do I need to provide a proof that I repaid $5K? My plan is to submit 1040-X, original 1040, and other supporting documents. Please suggest if I am missing anything. Thanks for the feedback. FYI- I am using the PDF hard copy of the 1040-x form.

@ahmed041 wrote:

@Opus 17 @RobertG 

Hi: I used turbotax to file 2018 tax and I took standard deductions. No schedules. I have the copy of the 2018 tax forms. I used original forms to prepare the 1040-X. I used pub 525 method 1 and 2 to determine the best option and I found deduction would be the best for my case. When I filled out the 1040-X, i used $5K in column B. and corrected AGI in column C and filed rest of the form as suggested. My plan is to explain why am I making making this correction in PART III of the 1040-X form. Do I need to provide a proof that I repaid $5K? My plan is to submit 1040-X, original 1040, and other supporting documents. Please suggest if I am missing anything. Thanks for the feedback. FYI- I am using the PDF hard copy of the 1040-x form.

You do NOT send the original 1040.  You prepare a NEW 2018 tax return containing the corrected information.  In this case, that means listing the repayment as a special itemized deduction on schedule A, line 16, along with the reason.  However, if you have no other itemized deductions and the $5,000 is less than the standard deduction, it won't change your tax or get you any refund.  So you would need to add all your other itemized deductions that you did not include on your original 2018 return.  The total of your itemized deductions transfers to line 8 of form 1040.  Then you recalculate your tax owed from the tax tables.  Sign and date the completed NEW form 1040.  THEN prepare form 1040-X by doing a line by line comparison of the old and new form 1040 and write your explanation in part III.   Mail the new 1040 with schedule A and the 1040-X to the IRS.  Don't send other documents. 

Because you used the standard deduction in 2018, I think your determination that the deduction gives you a better repayment than the credit method is incorrect.  You may be better off seeking professional in-person advice.

If you wish to proceed manually, you need to use the following steps.

1. Get a copy of your 2017 tax return.  Download the blank forms and instructions for 2017 from the IRS web site.  Prepare a new 2017 tax return but reduce your line 7 wages by the $5000 repayment.  Re-calculate your tax due on line 56.  Follow all the steps in the form 1040 instructions.   The difference between line 56 on your original return and revised return is the amount of your credit.

2. Download the 2018 tax forms and instructions.  Prepare a NEW 2018 tax return will all your wage and deduction information from the original return.  You also need Schedule 3.  Put the credit amount on line 54.  Check box "c" and write "IRC 1341" on the line next to box c.  Line 55 from schedule 3 transfers to line 12 of form 1040 and check the box for "b".  This will result in a different amount of tax at line 15 and a different amount of refund at line 19.

3. Using form 1040-X, copy information from your old and new 2018 1040 forms.  Lines 1-5 should not change.  Line 6-11 will show the lower amount of tax liability.  Lines 12-15 should not change.  Line 18 is your original refund, line 21 will be the new additional refund and should be the same as the amount of the IRC 1341 credit you entered on schedule 3.  Write an explanation in part III (you are taking IRC claim of right credit for wages paid to you in 2017 and repaid to the employer in 2018).

4. Sign and date the NEW 2018 1040 with schedule C. Sign and date the 1040-X.  Mail the 1040-X and new 2018 form 1040 with schedule 3 to the IRS.  Do not mail the revised 2017 return (this is only a worksheet to calculate the proper credit).  Do not mail your original 2018 tax return.

Hi @Opus 17 

I will do this during the weekend and let you know. Thanks. 

1040X -- How to file:

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.
Mail to the address shown for your location in the Instructions for Form 1040X.

Hi @Opus 17 

I followed your instructions and manually completed these following steps.

1. I prepared a new 2017 tax return reducing line 7 wages by the $5000 repayment and re-calculated tax due on line 56. The difference between line 56 on your original return and revised new return is the amount of your credit. The credit is $750.

2.  I prepared a NEW 2018 tax return will all your wage and deduction information from the original return.  The original Schedule 3 already had line 49 and 50.  I put the credit amount of $750 on line 54 and checked box "c" and wrote "IRC 1341" on the line next to box c.  I transferred Line 55 from schedule 3 to line 12 of form 1040 and checked the box for "b" (Basically new total is $750 higher than the original line 55).  This resulted in a different amount of tax at line 15 ($750 less from the original) and a different amount of refund at line 19 ($750 more than the original.

3. Prepared form 1040-X by copying information from old and new 2018 1040 forms.  Lines 1-5 did not change.  Line 6-11 will showed the lower amount of tax liability.  Line 6 didn't change.

Line 7 changed because of the addition of new credit (increased by $750 in column B and subsequently column C). Line 11 column C is $750 higher than the Column A.

Lines 12-15 did not change. Line 12 didn't change and all other lines are 0. Therefore line 17 is equal to line 12. 

Line 18 is my original refund that I already received, line 19 is equal to Line 11 Column A. Line 21 is the new additional refund of $750 (Line 19-Line 11 Column C) and  is same as the amount of the IRC 1341 credit I entered on schedule 3.  Wrote an explanation in part III (I am taking IRC claim of right credit for wages paid to you in 2017 and repaid to the employer in 2018).

4. You mentioned that Sign and date the NEW 2018 1040 with schedule C. Sign and date the 1040-X.  Mail the 1040-X and new 2018 form 1040 with schedule 3 to the IRS.  

Q1. How would IRS know that I repaid the $5K? Don't I need to send any proof?

Q2. Do I need to write a cover letter?

Thanks for your assistance. I probably couldn't complete these without your valuable inputs.

@ahmed041 wrote:

Hi @Opus 17 

I followed your instructions and manually completed these following steps.

4. You mentioned that Sign and date the NEW 2018 1040 with schedule C. Sign and date the 1040-X.  Mail the 1040-X and new 2018 form 1040 with schedule 3 to the IRS.  

Q1. How would IRS know that I repaid the $5K? Don't I need to send any proof?

Q2. Do I need to write a cover letter?

Thanks for your assistance. I probably couldn't complete these without your valuable inputs.

It sounds correct but I am not a professional tax advisor and I can't see your forms so I can't personally guarantee you are correct.  Turbotax is for self-preparation and you have to take responsibility for all the information you submit.

I have also understood that you send any changed forms with the 1040-X, but fanfare may be correct, the instructions for the 1040-X say you don't need to submit form 1040 again.  You do  need to include the revised Schedule 3.

You explain your situation in part III of the 1040-X, you don't need a separate cover letter.

The tax system is based on trust plus enforcement,.  There are many items that can be reported on a tax return that are not automatically supported by back-up documents at the IRS--the IRS gets wage and income information from W-2s and 1099s but does not get verification that you bought an electric car or made charity donations, for example.  The IRS can't possible evaluate every piece of proof on every tax return, or they would never get tax returns processed and refunds paid.  The IRS selects tax returns for additional verification based on formulas and rules they keep secret, and they will send a letter if they want to see copies proving a particular claim.  Keep your proof handy for at least 3 years, but you don't send it now. 

@Opus 17 @RobertG @fanfare I used TurboTax when filed the 2018 tax. Can I amend using online version of turbotax to claim IRC 1341? Since I took standard deduction in 2018, this credit option should be best for me. I can't go over the standard deduction limit to itemize the amendment. Thanks.

TurboTax online can only prepare the current season.   When you go to amend a 2018 online tax return, you will be prompted to download a free copy of TurboTax to install on your desktop.  You will also need to download your 2018 tax data file. After opening the data file in the 2018 program you will select amend from the list of things you can do on the first page.  Follow the instructions carefully. Robert has previously posted an instruction on how to manually insert the IRC 1341 credit.  Even using TurboTax software, amended returns can’t be e-filed, so you will still expect at the end to print, sign, and mail the 1040 X and new schedule 3.

I will just submit the one i prepared last night. Thank you for helping me with this amendment. 

agrawal_aashish
Returning Member

Hi @Opus 17 ,

I've a similar question but slightly different. 

I received $15k signing bonus in 2019, and quit my job in 2020. I have to now repay 50% of it minus Social Security/Medicare which is approximately ~$7k. 

Option 1: I could either repay the $7k, and ask for a tax refund in my 2020 return

OR 

Option 2: I'm eligible to receive my 2019 annual bonus (~$10k before tax), and my former employer is fine with adjusting my $7k obligation against this annual bonus. In your opinion, is this okay to do, and would I lose money with this option vs. Option 1.

I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks so much for your time!

-Aashish 

@agrawal_aashish wrote:

Hi @Opus 17 ,

I've a similar question but slightly different. 

I received $15k signing bonus in 2019, and quit my job in 2020. I have to now repay 50% of it minus Social Security/Medicare which is approximately ~$7k. 

Option 1: I could either repay the $7k, and ask for a tax refund in my 2020 return

OR 

Option 2: I'm eligible to receive my 2019 annual bonus (~$10k before tax), and my former employer is fine with adjusting my $7k obligation against this annual bonus. In your opinion, is this okay to do, and would I lose money with this option vs. Option 1.

I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks so much for your time!

-Aashish 

Most of the time, you will come out the same, or slightly ahead, by letting your employer net your current bonus against the repayment.  That avoids hassle with social security and medicare (which you don't quite come out even on with option 1); it avoids extra paperwork at tax time; and it avoids having to research your state's claim of right procedure (if they even have one).

The only time you would make out better with Option 1 is if your 2020 income will be substantially lower than 2019 so that it places you in a lower tax bracket.  (Going from the 24% to 22% bracket, you would only get back $140 more using option 1, but going from the 22% to the 15% bracket you would get back $490 more using option 1.  However, as I mentioned, I'm still not sure you are made entirely whole regarding your state taxes or social security/medicare using option 1.)

agrawal_aashish
Returning Member

Thanks @Opus 17 - very helpful!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies