turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Real estate pro

I selected "Real Estate Professional Selection" with the two conditions satisfied.

But TurboTax isn’t  giving me the maximum loss deduction.

It’s still calculating zero losses. Any insights?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Real estate pro

You will find the screenshot below in the Property Profile section.

You must check "Yes" as to whether you materially participated in the rental property. Real estate professional status is insufficient by itself; you must materially participate as a real estate professional to avoid the passive activity rules.

m.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Real estate pro

on the worksheet did you check material participation box d 

The tax law places limits on the deductibility of passive income. Passive income does not include an activity in which an individual is a material participant. A material participant is an individual who participates in an activity for more than 500 hours. An individual is also a material participant if the individual's participation was substantially all the participation in the activity of all individuals for the tax year, including the participation of individuals who did not own any interest in the activity. An individual may be considered to be a material participant if the individual satisfies other tests. See IRS Publication 925.

Generally, rental activities are passive activities
even if you materially participated in them.
However, if you qualified as a real estate professional, rental real estate activities in which
you materially participated aren’t passive activities. For this purpose, each interest you have in
a rental real estate activity is a separate activity,
unless you choose to treat all interests in rental
real estate activities as one activity. See the Instructions for Schedule E (Form 1040 or
1040-SR), Supplemental Income and Loss, for
information about making this choice.
Qualifications. You qualified as a real estate
professional for the year if you met both of the
following requirements.
• More than half of the personal services you
performed in all trades or businesses during the tax year were performed in real
property trades or businesses in which you
materially participated.
• You performed more than 750 hours of
services during the tax year in real property
trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

Real estate pro

You will find the screenshot below in the Property Profile section.

You must check "Yes" as to whether you materially participated in the rental property. Real estate professional status is insufficient by itself; you must materially participate as a real estate professional to avoid the passive activity rules.

m.png

Real estate pro

Bingo!  Thanks.

Real estate pro

This box does not even show up in there 2020 Property profile. Can you kindly give some pointers?

Real estate pro

@sduser1 wrote:

This box does not even show up in there 2020 Property profile. Can you kindly give some pointers?

Yes, before you will see that screen, you have to check the boxes in an earlier screen indicating you are a real estate professional.

2.png

doceoc

Real estate pro

On the 2019 return I check the box for the 750 hours a year but when I hit the enter key TurboTax states that I do not qualify. What's up with that?

Real estate pro

@doceoc wrote:

On the 2019 return I check the box for the 750 hours a year but when I hit the enter key TurboTax states that I do not qualify. What's up with that?

You also have to materially participate in your real estate activities and more than half of the personal services you performed in all trades or businesses during the tax year have to have been performed in real property trades or businesses.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p925#en_US_2020_publink1000104591

Qualifications.

You qualified as a real estate professional for the year if you met both of the following requirements.

• More than half of the personal services you performed in all trades or businesses during the tax year were performed in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

• You performed more than 750 hours of services during the tax year in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies