Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kayla_alysse
Returning Member

RE: AHCCCS (Arizona Medicaid) for Child, Who Should Claim?

It’s my first year filing with my son. I am not married to his father, but he does support us (I did not work for most of the year 2019). I’m applying for AHCCCS for my son and I, and including my SO’s income, but need to know who should claim him? I know I won’t get much, if anything, back for him, but his father will since he makes the money.

But, I don’t want to risk my son not getting AHCCCS coverage because his father claimed him and I’m the one applying.

TIA!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do you all live together?  If so, your son's Medicaid eligibility is based on BOTH your income AND his father's income.  You would need to report both incomes to Medicaid when you apply.

Because that is the case, it would not matter who claims the child for purposes of Medicaid.  You would want to try it both ways to see which gives the best result.

If you do not all live together, it may not be an option for one of you to claim the child.  You would need to give details about who the child lived with.

Kayla_alysse
Returning Member

Yes, we do all live together and I’m a stay-at-home mother.

I did report his income, but during the application it asked if I would be claiming our son and that is where I ran into this concern.

It’s good to know that he can claim him, since he is the sole income and will wind up getting more of a refund, in that case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies