turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jj7299
Returning Member

quick form 8854 question

Is the "date of expatriation" on form 8854 the day I filed my I-407 or the day it was processed and approved? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

quick form 8854 question

Well, not that this is correct, necessarily, but a plain reading of that sentence is simply the date you actually renounced with the proviso that it was later confirmed (e.g., if the renunciation was made in person on July 1st but not confirmed until October 1st, then the effective date should be July 1st).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

quick form 8854 question

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8854#en_US_2021_publink10001536

[note the "earliest" of the dates]

jj7299
Returning Member

quick form 8854 question

"The date you renounced your U.S. citizenship before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States (provided that the voluntary renouncement was later confirmed by the issuance of a certificate of loss of nationality)" 

yes but does this mean the date of filing or the date it was processed? I read it takes a few months to process

quick form 8854 question

Well, not that this is correct, necessarily, but a plain reading of that sentence is simply the date you actually renounced with the proviso that it was later confirmed (e.g., if the renunciation was made in person on July 1st but not confirmed until October 1st, then the effective date should be July 1st).

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies