Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Postpone refund

If my tax return ends up with a refund, I can chose not to take it and apply to next year as estimated payment correct? Can I take part of it, and apply part of it to next year? And for how many years can we do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Postpone refund

you can keep doing that

any refund due you this year can be carried over to NEXT year.  then if next year's taxes show a refund, you can carry it over to the following year.

but if you are asking if you are due a refund in 2022, can you carry that to 2024? I am not aware that you can do that.  

dmertz
Level 15

Postpone refund

Your overpayment can be applied to next year's taxes and it's treated as a Q1 estimated tax payment.

You can apply part to next year and have the rest refunded.

If you have a similar overpayment next year, you can apply next year's overpayment to the following year and so on.  You can keep doing so until you die, at which any overpayment would have to be refunded.

Postpone refund

no not to 2024. To next year. and if needed, to next year again. This way I can take care of estimated payment during tax time

Postpone refund

thanks)

Postpone refund

if you apply refund to next year, it goes toward your first estimated tax payment.

you still have to consider your three remaining estimated tax payments.

if your refund after withholding is covering next year, you have too much being withheld.

@abtb00 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies