Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paypal 1099K

We are a homeschooling family that purchased quite a bit of curriculum over the years that was never deductible. I'm now selling that stuff off bit by bit and received a 1099K form from Paypal as a result. I don't consider it a business, but it seems crazy to have to claim income and get taxes on it for something that I'm actually selling for less than what I originally paid for it.  What are my options here to not get dinged by taxes on this income? It's only $500, but I guess my state is one that requires Paypal to issue a 1099K no matter the amount.

Same goes for reselling something on eBay. If I purchased it on eBay and then a few years later, resell it, it's a similar situation.

We do have self-employment income but it's  completely different & separate from this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Paypal 1099K

The items you resell are considered personal items and I guess that in the great majority of cases (if not all cases), the items are sold for less than what you paid for them. In this case, you have a loss on personal items. This loss is not deductible and you do not have to report it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Paypal 1099K

The items you resell are considered personal items and I guess that in the great majority of cases (if not all cases), the items are sold for less than what you paid for them. In this case, you have a loss on personal items. This loss is not deductible and you do not have to report it.

Paypal 1099K

That's what I'm guessing too. From what I can tell, Paypal doesn't report these to the IRS, but does report them to the Vermont Department of Taxes because they have a much lower threshhold. I guess I won't report it and we'll see what happens! And yes, I didn't sell any of these things for more than I originally paid for them, but actually for less.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Paypal 1099K

Just keep detailed records in the event you receive an inquiry.  But as long as they were personal items sold at a loss, you have nothing to report.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies