Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Paying state taxes on gambling winnings in another state

@grasshopper612 When the posts about this issue began in this thread, you were asked which state return you prepared first.   I cannot find an answer to that anywhere.   When you have two state returns to prepare using this software you need to prepare the non-resident state return first, then prepare the return for the state you live in.   Did you prepare the Indiana and Illinois returns in that order-----Indiana first and then Illinois?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes.

I filed the original return taking the credit. Submitted all required forms including a copy of the return filed with Indiana Department of Revenue. IL sent back a correction removing the credit. I appealed it. This Continued Back and forth until they made a final determination stating that prior to 2019, IL did NOT allow a deduction for tax paid to another state for gambling income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies