turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paid Estimated Taxes but not filed 1040-ES, what now?

I'm a self-employed NRA and made online estimated payments last year via Debit Card, but I didn't file 1040-ES.
Now, what am I supposed to do, can I send the 1040-ES with payment confirmations together with 1040-NR forms? or is my money lost and I have to fill it out and pay the entire tax for 2019 with penalty amount??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not necessary to send a Form 1040-ES voucher when you make estimated tax payments online. If, when you made the payments, you designated them as estimated tax payments for 2019, and gave your Social Security number or ITIN, then it's the same as if you had made the payments with a 1040-ES voucher. The payments will be credited to your 2019 tax.

Enter the total amount that you paid on line 63 of your Form 1040-NR. You do not have to send any documents with the tax return to show that you made the payments.

Please note that a nonresident alien cannot use TurboTax. TurboTax does not support Form 1040-NR.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can report the estimated tax payments you made in your return so you get credit for them.  Please follow these steps:

1. Click on FederalDeductions & Credits. 
  2. In the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section, click on the Start/Update box next to Estimated Tax Payments
  3. On the next screen, click the ​​​Start/Update box next to Federal estimated taxes for 2019 (Form 1040ES).
  4. On the screen, Did you pay estimated taxes for 2019? click the Yes box.
  5. Enter your payment(s) on the next screen, How much did you pay in federal estimated taxes? 
  6. If you made more than four payments, click Add another payment at the bottom of the screen to add another line.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not necessary to send a Form 1040-ES voucher when you make estimated tax payments online. If, when you made the payments, you designated them as estimated tax payments for 2019, and gave your Social Security number or ITIN, then it's the same as if you had made the payments with a 1040-ES voucher. The payments will be credited to your 2019 tax.

Enter the total amount that you paid on line 63 of your Form 1040-NR. You do not have to send any documents with the tax return to show that you made the payments.

Please note that a nonresident alien cannot use TurboTax. TurboTax does not support Form 1040-NR.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies